Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Pump ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Pump ?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Okay. We determined that the fuel pump was not pumping while the motor was running. However when I kept my finger on the primer button on the steering column, the fuel pump worked and the motor ran fine. We rewired(bypassed) the switch so that the fuel pump engages when the key is in the on position. Is this the way it should be set up ? I believe this primer button was an afterthought. But why ? Does anyone else have the button(Switch) that I am refering to ?
How was the pump getting juice while the motor was running before ? When the primer button was depressed you could hear the pump. When it was released the pump seemed to go off and you could not hear it before with the key in the on position. And is there just one pump ? Looking under the coach we could just see the one in the rear next to the gas tank. And does the fuel pump engage when the generator is turned on ?

Jack and Daiva
1988 31ft Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by brandman (edited October 03, 2003).]

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have little Ford experience, but will hazard a guess just to help.

Got oil pressure?

Many boats and RVs use an oil pressure switch to power the fuel pump. Typically, it is powered by the ignition 12 volts, and provides power to the electric fuel pump when the ignition is on and there is oil pressure. This is to stop the flow of fuel should there be a collision in which the engine stops. The switch can fail. I had one fail on my boat. The switch could also be wired through a relay, which could have failed or have bad connections. I would imagine your engine has two oil pressure sensors/switches, one for the pressure gauge or idiot light, and one for the fuel pump. Hopefully, they will be together to make things simple. The ones I have tangled with had two slip-on terminals. With the ignition on, bridge the two terminals with something metal and listen for the pump to run.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.I'm going to print that reply. Tell me. Do you have the same little black button(primer switch) on your steering column as well or is this feature on mine merely an afterthough ?

jack and daiva
1988 31ft Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post