Barthmobile Portal
Steering wheel removal

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/5973920557

11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
vince900ss
Steering wheel removal
No need to do that, but thanks for the offer. My longtime fireman friend with Spartan truck experience thought it was a matter of turning the aluminum hub...which ended up releasing my wheel! Actually good that it happened, as the nut wasn't as tight as it should have been, which allowed that to happen. But, I never thought of the tilt knob as also being the telescoping adjustment. I'll take it apart for a look one of these days. With your info, it should be easy to figure out. i need to straighten the wheel anyway.
Thanks!

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Rusty
The spokes on my steering wheel have been peeling paint for a while. Picking at it gives me something to do.

However, I decided to remove it and repaint the spokes.

Step 1: Remove the rubber horn button/cover. It fits over the flange of the contact unit. Simply peel it of by rolling the edge up with your fingers. A small screwdriver may help get the peeling started. Disconnect the wire.

Step 2. Remove the contact unit. It has three tabs that hold it in place by friction. This can be removed easily with a screwdriver; see below:

Step 3. Remove the nut, then the steering wheel. On mine, the nut was 21mm, and a 2-arm puller worked better than a 3-arm.

This is the back of the assembled 3-piece horn button unit. It kind of shows how the rubber horn button fits on the flange of the contact unit. This will be reinstalled as a single component by simply pressing into place, placing the fingers on the edges (unless you enjoy hearing the horn).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Moonbeam-Express
quote:
Picking at it gives me something to do.

You should buy a guitar.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
12-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Rusty
After I trimmed Nelson's claws, I have much fewer scratch marks, and no scabs. So I picked at the steering wheel...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields