Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator Muffler
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator Muffler
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
My 4 KW Kohler generator needs a new muffler. It's a side-entry, end exhaust.

Before I cob something together from the auto parts store, maybe someone has located a source for these things...

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I got one for my Onan from Precise Engine Repair in Yakima, WA , www.perr.com. Don't know if they handle Kohler.

You might also try a Google search for Kohler. That's how I found P.E.R.R., & several other sources for Onan parts. P.E.R.R. had the lowest price.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I have been using PB rust buster to communicating with my Onan exhaust for the past few weeks and it is just about time to replace the muffler as well as most of the well rusted pipes.

The local car part places offer attractive stainless steel mufflers that will fit below my slide out for the generator but I am not sure what the consequences of putting a different muffler on the generator might be.

Can any of you folks share your knowledge with me on this?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link; they had nothing similar to what I have. I'm still hunting...the Kohler website is worthless.

------------------
Rusty

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
I have been using PB rust buster to communicating with my Onan exhaust for the past few weeks and it is just about time to replace the muffler as well as most of the well rusted pipes.

The local car part places offer attractive stainless steel mufflers that will fit below my slide out for the generator but I am not sure what the consequences of putting a different muffler on the generator might be.

Can any of you folks share your knowledge with me on this?

Timothy

Gaso or LPG mufflers aren't critical, where diesel mufflers (diesels are sensitive to back pressure). The worst that would happen is that it wouldn't run as quietly as with the OEM muffler.

------------------
Rusty

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Rusty:

Thank you, fixing the holes will quiet things down and I hope a larger muffler on the (It is a 5KW gas Onan) generator will also reduce the noise.

Besides the stainless should be a nice look.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what model Barth you have - I've found no suitable SS mufflers (or any others for that matter)...what parts store do you use?

BTW, a lot of the noise comes from the interior baffles being shot, so patching isn't the answer - new, like you've elected, is.

------------------
Rusty

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
The mufflers I've seen are at Pep Boys. The openings are too large but as the entire exaust system was built out of water pipe and is very badly rusted my plan is to have stainless pipe fabricated. I'll have to cut the flanges to bolt to the exaust maifold at a friends shop but my company makes measuring machines and he owes me some pay back time for the CMM work I've done for him.

There is a muffler shop in Orange county, next to Disney land that has been very cooperative on my motorcycle rack and some other work. They will bend the pipe for me and I will do the cutting and fitting and then have them weld it up. My plan is to use a reducer to the muffler.

I have a 1973 25 footer and the existing muffler lives under the generator slide-out-tray. There is plenty of room for an automotive size muffler. The exaust is routed from the front of the generator (it faces foreward) through a hole in the fron of the tray so I have the full width of the tray to install the muffler. If it sticks out past the back of the tray I still have at least a foot of space before the end of the coach.

Timothy

1973 25 foot Barth 454 gaser
Wife
When we had two hounds my dog was a good dog but now that we have just one thanks to my wife I have an attentive and spoiled borzoi. Yep that's it, Lana spoiled him...yea sure.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll try Pep Boys...one of my best friends owns a few auto repair shops, so I can get the pipes bent.

------------------
Rusty

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's a good site for Onans. Links for others too.
http://www.perr.com/onan.html

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited February 04, 2006).]

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a muffler from a gas golf cart? The engine displacement would be more inline with your generator and golf carts are about the quietest running engines ever.

------------------
Brad
1977 27' CLASS EH!

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now that's a great idea! (Why didn't I think of that - I just bought golf cart batteries for the house juice...)

------------------
Rusty

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I ran a 4kw BF gas Onan (couldn't afford a diesel) on my tractor trailer for better than 10 years. Onan mufflers were too expensive so I went to a muffler shop and bought the smallest muffer they had,bought a reducer to get to the size of the onan exhaust This worked fine

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's what it looks like I'll be doing - none o the golf crrt, ATV, snowmobile, or garden tractor mufflers are even close. AT least there's plenty of room to fit just about anything.

------------------
Rusty

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From the "this is Probably Worthless Info to Anyone but Me" Department (Ably assisted by the "Real Men Don't Read Instructions" Division):

The muffler for the Kohler LPG generator (apparently for sizes 3.6 - 4.5 KW), is 238391. Price $91.39, plus tax and shipping.

This is still a good part number, and the part is avaialable. I ordered mine through TAW Power Equipment in Tampa, FL, 800-456-9449. They were out, so it's coming from the factory in 7-10 days.

------------------
Rusty