Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Radiator help needed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Radiator help needed
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Ok, radiator is a 82 GM cross flow from my coach. Finally got it out. It needs a new core. Quote for a straight core replacement is $970.00. He has three options for improving cooling capacity using dimpled tubing and changing tubing. Is this a good idea? Need feedback from the group. Alternative ideas all make the rebuild above $1.1k.

Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative, new unit? I had purchased one for the P30,6.2 l diesel. It was configured wrong.

I'd like to get back on the road soon an need help from the experts. Since y'all are at the rally ( and I'm not),maybe y'all can collectively come up with some ideas.

Thanks. mike

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Additional cooling is always a plus. Did you have heating problems before the radiator gave out? What are your future plans? For example, adding a turbo would put additional stress on the cooling system.

Back in my busnut days a lot of MCI folks changed to dimple core and were able to keep things cool. The MCI 7s & early 8s had very marginal cooling capacity.

So if you are thinking of adding power, you need to add cooling now while it is cheap.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
US Radiator Desert Cooler is the only radiator I use. Good service for me over decades towing boats and RVs up almost every hot tough grade in CA and a couple steep ones in AZ with no overheating. My fan roars, the electric one kicks in, the trans gets hot, the genset gets vapor lock, but the engine stays cool. With Siamesed bores, even.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary, thank you for the thoughts about considerations for additional cooling. Now is the time to do it.

Dessert coolers... I'll have to find a contact number and call them. Since this is from a RV, as you know, it's not standard. About the only way to be successful will be to share pictures and dimensions. Do you have a contact name? I really want to get back on the road and am disappointed that we missed the rally.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC Barther:

Dessert coolers... Do you have a contact name?

No name, but here is their site:

http://www.usradiator.com/

Yes, they will need dimensions etc. When I bought the one for our Barth, they did not have one with the engine oil heat exchanger in the tank. It was no biggie, as like to use a larger full-flow external one, anyway.

I suspect the diesel radiator might be a little unusual for them, as there are not many P30 diesels around. With luck, it might use the same radiator as some truck models.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, here's what I ended up doing. Bill, US Radiator offered a new core (about $600 before shipping) and a 3 week wait (not including shipping). Nothing new was available.

So, Gary, I went with the local shop and the improved core (27% additional liquid capacity) and of course a more dollars ($$). One additional consideration was that the current radiator has 14 fins/in and the replacement, OEM, core was at 12 fins/in. I did not want to lose cooling capability. I considered a few additional, non-standard, options which have 14 fins/ in. Each option was even more $$$.

Now, I'm just waiting to get this baby back and installed.

Guys, thank you for your insights and help.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC Barther:
US Radiator offered a new core (about $600 before shipping) and a 3 week wait (not including shipping).

yeah, I was afraid of that.........They get real busy after all the Memorial Day Weekend overheats going up the Grapevine and Chiriaco Summit to recreation areas.