Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Start of my help.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Start of my help.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger and puchase this barth. 1972 Barth 25 feet.

Do you think it is worth 4000?

Also on the windsheild does it look like the 14" or 23" There is a crack on the passenger side that will need repair eventually.

Everything was redone in 2000. Engine Rebuilt with 50k miles since the rebuild.

Guy was asking 5k, and I got him down to 4k.

It is a 1972 sitting in a p30 chassis.

Full Kitchen & Bath.
• All Aluminum Construction on Chevy P-30 Chassis.
• Only 50K Miles Since Rebuild
• 454 Chevy Engine with Overdrive
• Onan 4000 generator
• Samsung Microwave
• Norcold 3-way generator
• Propane Range
• Rooftop A/C

Posts: 11 | Location: Exton, PA | Member Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also Do you guys think I can get this to polish up shiny??? Or should I do a paint job?

Posts: 11 | Location: Exton, PA | Member Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Looks like a well cared for coach. Windsheilds for this year Barth are not being made any more and are hard to impossible to find. Check date code on tires, new ones are in the $1500 -$2000 range. If over 7 years old they should be replace. 16.5" tire are getting harder to come by.
Check out Lee's post before you touch any polish to it. You need to be dedicated. IMHO use it and enjoy it before you make that commitment.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
The shorter windshield may be impossible to find new. The 25' Barth would take roughly 150 hours to polish up nice. I paid that much for a 22' 78 Barth that is much more of a project.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. Also I forgot to put a picture of the outside of the Barth.

Having a hard time getting Mrs. Barth to agree, she wants a 1984 Winnebage Chieftian we look at for the same price.....Pointers???

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That Chieftain will be made into mulch before the Barth reaches puberty. That's not even considering the flimsy wood construction of the Chieftain, not what I'd want in event of an accident.

There's no comparison.

BTW, I'll bet the Norcold 3-way is a refrigerator Wink

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tell her that since the Chieftain is made out of wood it has termites in it Mischief

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daddy is putting his foot down and we are going to get the Barth. Our price range we are in there is nothing else that even compares for quality.

She is just all looks, and I think with a nice paint job I can get her to come on board....Luckily I have experience painting (nothing quite this large) but I've done mostly Helmets and a few harleys.

I'm just trying to determine....should I polish her up to get the shine, or should I just go **it wild with the paint.

I was thinking I could do this for NFL Eagles Tailgating, but I'm not really a huge Eagles fan, I'm a import from Colorado, but I love tailgating....I could do something completely custom and make it a canvas for my imagination, or go with a standard 2 tone type of a deal...I kinda liked that Mad Max theme I saw on here.

Anyway thanks all for your input...Today is my last day to fully convince the wifey....

From the pic on the outside does this look like it has the 14" windows or the 23"????

Thanks,
Rusty.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
For me the lack of replacement windshields would be a huge factor. I know of a MH that set for over 5 years with a broken windshield and no replacement available.

That said, I have a busnut friend who has a Belgium built bus that has no windshield available anywhere in the world and he looked. So with careful measuring he used two pieces of flat glass and careful choosing of rubber channel he was able to fabricate a new windshield. Someone mentioned to him that it looked like a lot of school bus windshields.

If you have the will and are crafty, there is a way.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Ironically, just yesterday, I was down at the parts store. A mechanic I use told me he had bought an old motorhome to part out and asked if I needed any parts.

I told him I didn't. He said he bought the motorhome, a 1983 Winnebago, for $300 with a locked up motor. He was going to strip out the sellable parts and sell the rest as scrap iron.
He laughed and then told me that THE METAL RECYCLING YARD TOLD HIM and I quote:

"We don't buy Winnebagos...we don't recycle wood."

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
was able to fabricate a new windshield.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum describing one owner's attempt to fabricate
a replacement for the short windshield...As I recall, looked pretty respectable.

PS: Thinking of polishing you say? My recommendation is to sit down and relax under
a nice shade tree with a cold beer until the feeling passes..... hmm

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a thread somewhere on this forum describing one owner's attempt to fabricate
a replacement for the short windshield...As I recall, looked pretty respectable.

Linky

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/10
Picture of Reado
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to fashion a windshield out of perspex/plexiglass? I have an article in one of my boat builder book where a guy built a fifties style wraparound windshield for a runabout. He built a jig and applied heat ...very carefully! Probably prone to windshield wiper scratches.
Also, I've seen some old International cabover/semi units with short windshields.

Reado,dreading the day when I might have to replace a short windshield on my 1973 19ft.

Posts: 60 | Location: Agassiz, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
When you go to that link, go to the next page, (4), for a link to an outfit that make custom glass for hot rods, etc. Sounds like the way to go.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya the custom glass is looking like what I'm going to have to do, either that or the ghetto fix...I guess we will see how much custom windshields are. I'm not too worried, but I suppose maybe something for the winter....I'd like to get it replaced then because I don't want to wake up in spring time and be forced to fix this.....could take her out of comission for a while if I have to send the glass in for them to mold it.