Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 rear main seal/crankshaft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 rear main seal/crankshaft
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Steve, I know where you are on the age thing. I was at your age when I did the eng/trans replacement. I suspected I had better do it before I got any older. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Another day to play with Barth. A demanding mistress of late indeed!

Yesterday I put these under the coach. They may look like driveshafts but they are actually surplus 30mm cannons! One forward, one pointing back... I'm sure they'll come in handy sooner or later. Violence

It is starting to look more like an engine! Just a few more things, radiator and cooler lines to go.

One of these days I might actually DRIVE this thing! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Well Steve that has been a lot of work. It's looking good. Thumbs Up

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm wornout just following the thread! mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The radiator shop stalled me for the weekend. I finished up all other hookups. Worked on the drive axle air bags, got them lined up straight.

Tomorrow I'll have the radiator in and we should have engine noise.

Broke down the project into three parts:

1. Had to do (for crankshaft repair)

crankshaft $255
bearing set $100
seals,gaskets $100
HV oil pump $90
cam chain/sprockets $35

total about $580

2. Might as well do now:

motor mounts $25
water pump $80
u-joints, driveshaft $120
starter solenoid $45
oil and trans cooler lines, upper rad hose $100

about $370 total

3. Sooner or later must do:

Radiator re-core $500

There was about $100 shipping involved as well. A new engine bottom and numerous upgrades for about $1600. I don't want to even think about how many hours I worked...

Altogether a tiger by the tail but I figured I might as well do as much as I can before I get too much older. Now that I've been over so many things, I have hopes of being less likely to have trouble on the road and more likely to be able to fix if I do. It has been quite an investment in the care and feeding of Barth.

I'll have final photos when the radiator is in and Barth roars again.

Looks like we'll be OK for Milford! There were some other things I wanted to get ready and I won't have as much time to touch up and spruce up the rig. At least you all know my excuse and what I've been doing instead!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
And I was proud of myself for changing the engine and generator oil myself. mechanic confusion cheers ROTFLMAO

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I must know what I'm doing after all. Barth runs! I drove it back and forth 3 FEET! Tooling Along

Started right up, 80 psi oil pressure immediately. One small coolant leak (tightened the hose clamp) and one small ATF leak at trans cooler fitting, (that I will snug up when it cools down) Not too many parts left over! mechanic

I'm still getting the air out of the trans and radiator. A couple other minor items (Ty-wraps, etc) and I will road test tomorrow. Yeehaw!!! cheers

What a relief to look back on this. I'm leaving on Friday for a week fishing in Canada. Barth is ready just in time for Milford when I return! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
wow
Sorry

And all upside down.....

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
YOU DA M A N, Steve
cheers

by the way, I tried to send you a pm about some aviation stuff

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You get your PhD in Shadetree Mechanic from my school of hard lessons.

We all knew you would persevere, and you did.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If I had undertaken this project, it's just about at THIS stage that I'd discover the "extra" rod bearing
laying on the bench Frownerconfusion Eeker

Congrats!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support from the crowd. Lee, your Coolidge quote rings so true:

"Nothing in the world can take place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent....."

-Calvin Coolidge

This thing nearly beat me a couple times, but persistence does prevail in the end. head bang

It was down in the 30's last night. I'll drive Barth later. Meanwhile I'm goin' fishin' in Canada! I'll try to stay away from moose and ditches. (not like "My lucky day" from last summer!)

Looking forward to meeting folks in Milford! see ya

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp