Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cruise control
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cruise control
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have looked through previous discussions on this subject, but I did not see anything about the pulse generator (PG) connected into the spedo cable. Is there a way to test the PG? I detached the PG from the cable, attached my meter to the two wires, used a drill to spin the PG. I did not find any blips in continuity, or any voltage readings. Am I doing this correctly, or is there another way to test this thing?

If it is bad can I purchase a replacement?

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
What kind of motor and what year?

I have a 91 with a 460 EFI and it has an inline pulse generator. I know some other ones are located at the transmission.

I replaced mine this year and was able to get it at the Ford dealership.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

I have a 1981 Barth Euro, with a Chevy 454.
The pulse generator is connected between two sections of speedo cable, from the trans to the speedometer.

I'm not sure if this was a Chevy cruise control or an aftermarket.

I will check my Barth paperwork and see what I can find.

Thanks for the idea.

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Ford van's pulse generator is at the transmission end of the speedo cable. My Chebby motorhome has the generator and pickup next to the speedometer head.

BTW, the Ford test procedure for 80-87 PUs and vans uses an ohmmeter, not a voltmeter, to check for pulses:

Reading should be 40 ohms. O ohms indicates a shorted coil, infinity is open.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My pulse generator is just below my left shoulder.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dave, This habit of yours of sitting in your Barth at 10pm and enjoying your vino has GOT to be brought under control.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
With a pulse generator like Daves I wouldn't be sitting anywhere without another person being around!

I guess if ya gotta go then passing on in the Barth wouldn't be to bad...Yeah it would!

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for the comforting thought.

Fact is that the failing of a pacemaker is so rare that I would be way more likely to win the lottery or get whacked by a drunk driver than to have my pacemaker fail. I never even think about it.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
So if one kicks then chances are the pacemaker is still pumping?

I can talk about what keeps a diesel running or airbrake operation etc. but thankfully I don't have a clue about a "pulse generator for a person".

So I'll tell you about your dim headlight wiring before I could tell you about the other.

The heart has 4 chambers or strokes. Intake, compression, power, and exhaust. You just have a distributor jolting the heart on the power stroke? See how clueless I are .

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The pacemaker soldiers on, but without "power to the mains", it does so fruitlessly...

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
The heart has 4 strokes. Intake, compression, power, and exhaust.

Kinda like my Barth, except I call them Suck, Squeeze, Bang, and Blow.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, don't be pokin' fun at Dave's pacemaker...........

How would YOU like it if everytime you sneezed your garage door opened up?....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post