Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Update on Header installation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Update on Header installation
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
This modification has been quite the trip, and I am nearly halfway done after only 10 hours cumulative of back breaking torture.

The bolts retaining the manifolds obviously have not moved since they were installed in 87.

Half of them rounded off neatly with the first attempt at removal.

I have a Craftsman tool set made specifically for this, and a bit more of liquid wrench and *time* and a pnuematic impact gun got them all off..well save the last.

It happened to be BEHIND a rigid line for the power steering pump. GREAT job GM.

It was stuck fast. I had to torch the head off it to get the manifold free. A "Lisle" brand stud remover got it free after some hassle. The lisle set is like a splined socket, which you drive down over the stud, and its hardened splines dig into the metal, and gives you purchase. I hedged my bet by heating the stud to red with a torch, and spraying it with more penetrating oil after it had lost its color.

I felt like celebrating when it turned loose.

Got the headers mocked up, and wonders of wonders, they fit perfectly (Dynomax headers for 1 ton pickup, Gen IV 454 engine) what luck. They were Ebay finds, and cost me $88 shipped. Brand new.

Have 'seal 4 life' gaskets coming, they are aluminum, and are supposedly 'blow proof'. Good, because I am not doing this again. Using Stage 8 fasteners, which anchor to the header pipe so they don't loosen.

Have a 'DIY' Balance tube kit coming from Summit Racing.
(nod to Bill H here, I was planning on it, but his input cemented the idea in place).

Going on vacation on the 20th. Have 5 days off between now and then.

Going to be an interesting thrash to get it done, but I will.

Looking forward to adding dynomax or magnaflow mufflers next, but not until after vacation.

Still need to paint this damn thing too...

Does it ever end?

Don't answer that.

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post