Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator overcharging on 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator overcharging on 454
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
We were out on the road when I noticed my gen on the 454 was charging at a high rate, above normal. I turned lights etc on and it was still charging high up near the red arc on the gauge. when we stopped I checked the wires going to the gen one of the plug ins on the gen felt like it pushed in about an eight of an inch, everything returned to normal.
Should I have the gen checked or would the wire not making contact cause this problem?

Thanks Ralph
1976 27' 454

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You probably dodged the bullet for now.

However, you have a couple of problems that could come back and bite you later.

1. The plug was loose. It could become loose again. Replace it. Good auto parts stores carry them.

2. The fact that connections were loose raises the possibility of arcing and corroded terminals at the regulator. I would remove the regulator and either replace it or clean the flat terminals and reinstall. Or put in a new one and keep the old on as a spare. Buy only Delco.

This may seem like overkill, but doing this at your convenience is much more economical with your money and time than dealing with it on a Sunday night when you need to be back to work Monday morning, and the same pickup occupied by extras from Deliverance has driven by three times.

A middle ground is to use an electrical cleaner with antioxidant properties and work the connector on and off multiple times. Be sure the mechanical latch operates properly.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill for such a quick response, I'll follow your advice.

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth 454

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I've never even had a problem but I'm going to do the "middle ground" preventative anyway. Thanks bill.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post