Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Compartment leaks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Compartment leaks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
Several of the compartments leak on my 92 Regency when we get significant rain. I have tightened the locks to compress the gaskets a bit more, but that has not helped. This only added more compression to the bottom edge of the door anyway. I'm thinking of replacing the gaskets. Does anyone have any suggestions for other leak possibilities? Also a resource for new gaskets would be a help.

Thanks, Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Is is possible that there is a leak above the compartments that is coming down the inside of the walls and into the compartments? I have a couple of leads also and need to track them down. I think that I may have some bad rivets that could be leaking as some of them are bad and the brakets on the outside of the coach for the compartment hooks are not tight.

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Does anyone have any suggestions for other leak possibilities?..."
The light fixtures (some overhead, some on walls) in my compartments leak when I drive all day in the rain. I re-sealed them, and stopped most of it. The tires throw up so much water it gets all over the underside and eventually creeps in poorly sealed openings.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited November 06, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In my 85 Regal, all the compartments leaked and were damp inside. I used RTV sealant inside where all the seams were, and also re-riveted the seam on the outside where the aluminum wraps down around the bottom of the compartments. Haven't had any trouble since then.
Jim

------------------

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Here's what worked for me (100% so far):

1. Exterior of boxes were cleaned with wire brush chucked in a drill, then wiped-down with solvent.

2. Exterior seams & corners were reinforced with about 1/6" thick band of 2-part epoxy paste, flaired out about 1-2" on each side of corner/seam.

3. Exterior of boxes were sprayed with automotive undercoating - comes in aerosol cans for small jobs.

4. As mentioned, aluminum skin was re-riveted to framework. To slow down electrolisis, I used plastic backing stock that comes with bacon packages as an isolator between steel & aluminum...Tough stuff and can be cut to any unique size or shape to act as a spacer between differing metals.....

5. Doors got a small foam seal (Home Depot, etc) around perimeter that gets compressed on closure.

6. 1" diameter louvered soffit vents (again, H.D.), were installed in holes drilled in floor of box - one front & one rear to handle any potential condensation.

(Compartment light fixture leaks were not a factor for me - no compartment lights.)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I used large 1 1/2" dia plastic washers I purchased in a local hardware store to insulate the aluminum skin from the steel frame at each rivet. The epoxy sounds like a good idea--will put that on my project list.
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Well there are some really good ideas here.

I don't have any signs that moisture is leaking in around windows, light fixtures etc., but will look more closely.

I have a thin indoor/outdoor type of carpet covering the insides of the compartments so I can't see the seams. I will remove that and then clean off the rust and scale. The idea of sealing all the corner seams makes good sense, so will do that as well.

The gaskets on the doors actually look good, but, if after cleaning and sealing the corner seams, there is still moisture, I think that adding a thin rubber gasket over the existing rubber seal may be an option.

Great ideas folks, I really appreciate you advice.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post