Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical Gremlins
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Gremlins
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
While chasing some electrical problems and intermittent issues, I have done some rewiring and relocations of grounds etc.

The main grounding area for all of the instruments and lights up front on my Breakaway are in the lower electrical box are below my driver's area.

I had noticed after one of my runs that the box had standing water in it. I drilled some drainage holes but still some damage was done.

Pretty ugly!

I removed all grounding wires from the corroded grounding bar, cut them back to where there was no further corrosion. I then used a solder pot and tinned all of the ends.

Got a new longer bar and mounted it along the connector mounting plate so it is up off the floor of the box and out of any potential water pooling.

I then added another ground wire (8 gauge) from this new bar up to the dash grounding bar, ran further and tied to the main DC ground of the generator.

It will be interesting to see if any or all of the gremlins go away.

Cruise control problems was my design problem with the interface box. I think my redesign has fixed that issue.

Side note. I have three bulkhead connectors located in the electrical box, They were used during coach manufacturing of the unit and only served to make modular construction easier. I have 10 feet of the Allison transmission control cable stuffed up ahead of the left front wheel. This winter I am going to shorten that cable and remove all three of those bulkhead connectors in the box.

1. It will clean up the electrical service box a lot!
2. It will eliminate, in a lot of cases, three connections of the same circuit and reduce voltage drop.
3. It will be a lot of work but, all wires on my Breakaway are white and identified and numbered, don't have to trace anything.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post