Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fresh Water Fill Question - Help
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fresh Water Fill Question - Help
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
I have undocumented used MH, first time owner.

I have a "Fill" switch on the control panel. I have a "fast fill" bypass valve at the water panel underneath..

Questions:

Does the "Fill" electrical switch automaticall slow fill the fresh tank safely, stopping automatically when full?

When I turn on the "fast fill" bypass, what happens when the tank gets full (aka, how do I know when the tank gets full)?

a. The fill will safely and simply stop.

b. The tank will explode.

c. The tank will not explode, but it will swell and crack things.

Need some guidance here before I damage things. The tanks are a heavey black plastic substance.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi garryp:
Is this undocumented used MH ... SOB ...?

My unit has the auto fill switch and it will slowly fill the tank...and when full it will sound an alarm that you should turn it off. If you forget there should be an overflow pipe that will allow the water to run out below the tank...

I have never seen a fresh water tank made of black plastic...But all fresh water tanks should have an overflow pipe...

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My 84 was like Al's. The pressure fill was so slow I just used gravity fill, which was on curb side, anyway. When I replumbed the coach, I did away with the pressure fill valve and installed a manual valve. Primitive but reliable.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
garryp - You don't mention whether you have a Barth or not. If not, this info may not help much. As AL and Bill mentioned there are two ways to fill the water tanks (tanks should be white translucent plastic). Using the direct fill method, you will know when they are full as the tanks overflow through pipes on to the ground below the floor near the tanks. If you use the tank fill switch, you are basically taking water from the RV plumbing system and opening an electric valve and transferring water from the coach plumbing into the tank. This is a bit slower but works. There is an alarm that rings when the tanks are full and you must turn off the switch, it does not turn off automatically.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The previous owner of my coach disconnected the pump fill on the unit and plumbed a line from the city water fill, controllable by a hand valve. I find that to be a great way of filling the tank(s) (he added another 50 gal. tank.) One thing I would advise anyone with an auto fill system. don't trust it enough to flip the switch and then go out to dinner.

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, you IS soooo right. While in Texas I heard a knock at the door, and the neighbor said WATER IS RUNNING ONTO THE GROUND. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post