Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Longevity / "Life"
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Longevity / "Life"
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
What is the longevity / "life" of diesel fuel before it would be advisable not to run thru my engine(s)? I'm somewhat concerned about my Breakaway (fuel can be in the tank up to a year) but additionally I have equipment and other vehicles where the fuel will be in the tank a couple of years without adding fresh fuel. I try to store the vehicles with a full tank to reduce condensation. Finally, is there any additive that I can use to extend the fuels life? Thanks for any thoughts.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I've always heard that the worst thing you can do to screw up a diesel is to use crap fuel.

You are wise to be concerned but the good news is that there are additives available to extend storage life. Being a gasoline guy I use Sta-Bil in all my gas powered stuff that has to sit around, seems to work well. There are similar products available for diesel and are used regularly by commercial operators. They reduce the growth of bacteria that cause fuel gelling and clouding. Also help reduce water contamination effects.

Hopefully, some of our diesel folks can give you their favorite brands. I think Prist makes some products, not sure.

Keeping tanks full is always a good practice. If fuel is questionable there are companies that do "fuel polishing." They pump out the fuel and recirculate it through filters to scrub out the particulates. (I'm not sure what this costs and if it is cost effective for just a tankful.)

My father's diesel powered boat sits all winter long (Oct to May) every year waiting for launch in the spring. He does not use additives for storage but this is in the UP of Mi where it is cold and dry all winter. We keep the tanks full and we've never had trouble. I would not try this in any warm, wet climate!

Any one have a specific product they can suggest? If we don't get feedback try a PM to Marvin and Doris, they have been commercial diesel operators for many years.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
In my gas equipment I too use Sta-Bil gas additive (along with fogging the engine thru the carb in the fall) with much success. I use ethanol treatment in all my small engines. I haven't had to replace a carb since starting these practices (numerous before that). Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I would think this subject is of concern for many in my shoes - more dreams than time. I do have diesel equipment that is run regularly and depending on responses hereto, may unfortunately be sucking on a hose.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I just remembered my brother in law's experience. They go to Florida every winter. They have a 40 ft coach with a 500hp Cat motor. They live in New York. Decided one spring (April) to just leave the coach in Florida over the summer.

Returned in the fall (Nov) the coach would not run. The fuel had gelled all through the system. New filters, injectors, flushed all lines and tank to get it going. Over $1000 labor alone.

The only consolation: when they left the coach, the tanks were full. When they came to pick it up there was only 20 gallons left. Evidently someone had stolen the fuel while at the dealership in storage!
The dealer's insurance at least paid for the fuel and hopefully the dink who took it wrecked all his equipment running it. ROTFLMAO

Anyway, I guess six months of Florida summer is enough to wreck untreated fuel.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I never thought 6 mos.! I sure hope someone responds suggesting an effective additive for diesel. I have not been blessed with "permission" to access others' profiles, even though I've donated I believe generously. I don't know how to contact Marvin and Doris. Any chance you could PM them and ask them to respond to this topic. And that way others who may be interested will get informed. Gotta go now - will check back later. Take care "gasoline guy".

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My diesel truck gets Sta-Bil, because it sometimes sits awhile. I run it at least once a month, for at least 10 miles.

I average over 10K miles/year in the Barth, so it gets fresh fuel frequently.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
up here in minnesnowta, as Dana would say, our barth diesel gets parked around the end of October, and we fire it up mid may. I use sea-foam, 1 oz per gal. and never had any problems. I use sea foam in all my gas engines too.
Ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Seafoam is a wonderful product. I buy it by the gallon at Advance for around $60. I use it to de-carbon the cylinders of my 2 stroke motors (hand pump sprayed directly thru the spark plug hole and let it soak there for about a week, then start motor.) I've rejuvenated two 2 stroke mowers that had been deemed not repairable. I was not aware it could be used in diesel fuel. Fantastic, tomorrow I'll be treating my diesel fuel machinery, and most importantly, my Barth....Appreciate all your thoughts.

Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
BTW, people who are newer to using diesel fuel may want to check out the following thread, or for a more in depth discussion search "2 cycle oil". The discussion is inre. supplementing "today's" diesel in older (all Barths) diesel equipment.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/2053971957/p/3

(Discussion starts at the bottom of the page. Belated thanks, again, Rusty)

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I know somebody that bought a 1948 bus that had been sitting in the Az. desert for 30 years. Put in new batteries and fired it up and drove it back to Wa. with no problems.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's got to be the record.

The only fuel I've seen that is fairly stable was 100LL aviation fuel. I have seen numerous aircraft with 15 year old fuel that was clear and (probably) usable. I wouldn't fly with that stuff but at least it didn't damage anything.

I wasn't aware that Sta-Bil and Seafoam were OK for diesel but I'm not surprised. The 2cyle oil is definitely good for lubricity.

Other than the sun, Arizona is a great place for mummies. Think of the federal aircraft graveyards out there, some of those are really old but have not degraded much.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Those old (recip) airplanes are dosed with "fly-away" oil, in the crankcase and induced into the cylinders. It's formulated for adhesion and corrosion resistance.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We use Howes Products for over 16 years now. They got it at some Walmarts now for about $10 (treats 300 Gal), truck stop price around $18 a bottle. One kind is general maintenance (helps getting rid of water and put lubrication back into low sulfur diesel) and anti gelling. The other one is MeanerKleaner from Howes, helps the injectors. We put it in our semi truck and earlier years 1960 GM Bus 4104, then our Beaver 3208 CAT and our 7.3 Ford diesel . Never had an ounce of trouble with the fuel system.
Now there are other products, I think BillNY likes FTTP and also DieselKleen in the white bottles is good.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I use fppf additive as a lubricant and fuel protector. Fill up and tank and let it sit all winter. Never had a problem.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
The only lubricity additive that is worth anything is the Stanadyne. They make the pumps they should know. 2-cycle oil is worst than nothing.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post