Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mystery Engine Noise
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mystery Engine Noise
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
Developed a "ticking" / "clacking" type noise late last Fall just prior to Minnesota Winter Storage. It was late in the season and cold outside, so I didn't have the windows open much.

Sound was obviously still there this Spring and much more noticable with windows open, specifically in 3rd gear [or "louder" in 3rd gear] and under load, not while in Park. Very noticable when driving-down a street with buildings on either side, as the sound is "clacking-off" the hard surfaces.

Took the coach into the shop on the Monday prior to the 4th for an oil change and to invetigate this sound. I was thinking it was sounding-like an exhaust leak type of noise and directed the mechanic to that area.

He found a large crack in the housing that surrounds the butterfly of the Pacbrake, so he fashioned an adaptor to replace this part of the Pacbrake, as I felt the parts and labor to replace was more than budgeted at the time. Pacbrake is obviously [now] out-of-service.

Exhaust System was re-fit and no leaks or soot was detected following installation. Picked the vehicle-up the morning of the 4th with a "short-distance" [local] plan for the 4th.

Coach seems much quieter on the inside with the windows closed, but with the windows open, the "clacking" / "ticking" sound is still there.

Vehicle is scheduled for early Monday Morning for a couple of other minor repairs and to [again] investigate the source of this noise.

I hate to make a post like this, fearing the answer will be: "could be anything". Inquiring of you fine people if you might have any suggestions of what this might be or where to start.

Very little use thus far this year with the busiest part of my summer starting in about 8 days thru the end of October...

Any suggestions are appreciated B-4 Monday Morning.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This may sound strange, but check your wheel bearings, particularly the front.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the suggestion, but this is clearly engine noise.

Truck was inspected and greased a week-ago ...I do have a front wheel seal that's leaking and will be repaired this week.

This is upon loaded acceleration and attenuated upon "lifting" ...no "noise" during idle.

Kinda hard to dicern from the driver's seat with the engine 25 feet behind-you.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Drive it down to TN & we'll hang over the engine while you are driving. Ok that's not what you needed to hear. You need a friend to help you. Is there a barther out there close that knows stuff & would be willing to help? They drive the coach while you hang out over the engine trying to figure out the noise.
Good luck.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
This may sound strange, but check your wheel bearings, particularly the front.
Ditto, I had a tapping noise and it came from a pebble behind the stainless steel wheel covers.
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
You need a friend to help you... They drive the coach while you hang out over the engine trying to figure out the noise.
This test isn't for everyone, for the obvious reasons... One of the tests I would perform, as a diesel technician, would be to place the transmission into neutral and turn the engine off while driving down the road and listen. I would want to isolate the engine from the equation.
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
I hate to make a post like this, fearing the answer will be: "could be anything".
-You could have a loose torque converter.
-You could have an air dryer that is plugging up. It would send enough air into the system to refill the tanks at an idle, but when revved up it could be blowing off at the dryer or air compressor's, psi relief valve.
-A weak "Psi Relief Valve" would also do this for the same reasons.
-A failing U-Joint could also cause a ticking noise while pulling.

Really, it could be anything. Only a trained professional would be able to locate this if it is an engine noise. Too many times I've seen something simple turn into something far more expensive. Not because it needed it, but because the mechanic was a parts changer, instead of a technician. Eeker

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Thank-you for your input!

I am thinking now that this IS NOT engine noise.

Just got home from delivering the coach to the mechanic. B-4 leaving, I revved the engine to hasten the process of building air and there was no "noise" ...not even at 2200 rpm's [in neutral].

However, while in drive and under load, the offensive noise is clearly there.

Thanks Bill N.Y. for the list of possible suspects. I passed this list on to them and each of these items will be checked and ruled-out in the process of locating said "noise".

Hope to hear something B-4 the close of day.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Noise only when underway, not while parked. Clicking noise particularly noticeable when driving between buildings. Leaking front wheel bearing seal.

Have you checked to see if the clicking noise might come from a bearing that is going bad, and that the excess friction is overheating the grease so it liquifies & leaks out?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
The front wheel seal is being replaced today, as this was identified the last time the truck was in the shop and I told-him I would bring it back in a week for repair.

I thought the noise in question would be gone following the exhaust leak situation involving the Pacbrake ...noise was still there while I was leaving the shop when I picked-up the coach.

The noise is definitly coming from the rear of the vehicle and is verified by a friend driving their car near the left rear of the coach, on the highway, as we were communicating with cell phones.

Noise is at it's worst upon heavy acceleration, yet nearly absent when "lifting" or coasting. Described-as someone drumming-on the metal edge of a snare drum.

No "noise" while in nuetral upon revving the engine.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Do you have wheel simulators on your coach? Try removing these from the rear and see if that helps any.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
From my young on-the-farm days: Had a Reo flatbed with similar symptoms.....traced to the deteriorated & worn-out rubber mount of the driveshaft's midship bearing...Under load, driveline would shift enough to cause U-joint knuckle to make contact with with muffler shield.
....Might be worth a look.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I have 1 year old 22.5 Alcoa's all the way around.

Coach is in the shop now and I am suspecting something to do with either escaping AIR -or- EXHAUST [from where it's not supposed-to] -or- something which is driveline related.

Did not hear-back-from the mechanic yesterday, but will call-him today to check on progress. Also have a serpentine belt squeal that is being trouble-shot this time around.

I will keep-you posted...

Thankx!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Just talked to the shop...

Blown exhaust manifold gasket.

Dude's workin' on-it now ...having a tough-time with some of the bolts, but says he'll "get-'em outta-there".

Will also have a new serpentine belt

-and-

Front wheel seal replaced.

Hopefully, all done by close-of-day tomorrow.

I really appreciate all the help from this forum!

((( and am very glad is was not some expensive engine system failure )))

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you need a rider/driver while you/I listen I am at the Shakopee Valley RV park. You know the one on the river behind Perkins. Site 33. Will be here a couple of days then gone for about 10 and then back for August. If you want my help just make sure I wear my hearing aids.

When I have had this in the past it was a loose wheel.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
WOW!

...another Barth Owner right here in town!

You are about 3 minutes from my place Mr. Carter.

My coach is supposed to be out of the shop by late tomorrow afternoon and it should be very quiet [well, not TOO quiet] following previously posted repairs.

We will have to try to hook-up in the next few days -or- I will be out of town for a while, but shoud be back in town when you return in about 10 days.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Picked-up the coach from the shop last Thursday Morning. Did a 300 mile jaunt Thursday -thru- Saturday... Violence

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets replaced - New Serpentine Belt - New Belt Tensioner.

...all is quiet now and after the exhaust system was tightened-up and the crack repaired in the Pacbrake Butterfly Manifold, the Cummins is back to sounding-like a purring diesel.

Now the only noise to be expected, will be the choice words coming-from my mouth when the credit card statement gets here... Violence

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2