Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Speechless....
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speechless....
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If your Barth can idle then there is no need to disconnect the driveshaft! Now lets face it, if the Barth can run then there is usually no need to tow it either.

Here's the deal. If you tow any vehicle w/ an automatic (& most manuals) without running the engine you risk burning up the transmission. There is no splash lubrication or pump pressure without running the engine. This is why they remove the driveshaft.

The guy that helped you out Danny was a very good person. He went out of his way to help you and that speaks more to his character. If he didn't pull your driveshaft then he runs the risk of buying you a transmission.

I'm geared for nothing but roadservice. I have put in waterpumps, fuel pumps, injectors, driveshafts, alternators, ecm, batteries, etc... on the side of highways, off ramps, parking lots & construction sites and can count the number of times that I call for a tow truck in a year at less than 12.

Hilarlee's experience should have been roadservice to reprime the fuel system and on the road they go. The bit with removing the driveshaft and who should have put it back in wouldn't have been an issue if Banks did their job right. Hilarlee didn't cause the filter to fall off because she didn't pay enough. The driveshaft, filter, electrical lines and towing should go back to Banks doorstep.

I hope Banks owns up to their mistake and get it behind them. An apology from them and a reimbursement of some kind should be SOP in a case like this.

I to have a John Deere/Oshkosh 460 Gasser and that setup has a propbrake on the output shaft of the transmission. I replaced the brake shoes on that 2 years ago and have always thought that propbrakes were not very good.

WARNING: Reading below may cause nightmares, loss of sleep and hairloss. Read at your own risk!

If you park on grass or snow and start to slide one rear wheel will turn in the direction of the slide and the other will slip. If you blow a u-joint then someone has to get out while you hold the brake just to block the wheels. Now, lets say that the u-joint fails and the driveshaft takes out your brake lines. Now what? Trust me, I have seen it more than once! If you think you have a bad u-joint or get a vibration in you drivetrain and you keep driving you could have a VERY bad day.

If you can lock up both rear wheels then there is less chance of slipping. I like rigs with rear brake shoe application to hold them in place while parked. If you have airbrakes or hydraulic boosters at the rear wheels then you're ok.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've made numerous calls to several Banks employees and finally received a call back from the original salesman that sold me the system at the RV show. My inquiry was that since I already had the Banks Turbine housing why did I still have to pay for 15 out of 16 hr.s labor? Why only 1 hr.s credit? Surely it takes longer than that to remove and transfer all my parts over to a larger turbine and reinstall? My salesman Jeff agreed and is crediting back 3 additional hr.s labor back for a total of 4 hr.s. I consider this a goodwill gesture from Banks and as unforunate as my experience was, as always, everything worked out fine.

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
More thread drift.
After reading Bills comments about drive shaft parking brake systems, and what can happen, I’ve decided to install the ‘Ahh shoot’ chute.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack:
More thread drift.
After reading Bills comments about drive shaft parking brake systems, and what can happen, I’ve decided to install the ‘Ahh shoot’ chute.

How about extending your leveling jacks?

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
JACK; I think I'll put a chute in under the rear spare tire cover along with an anchor. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I believe most truckdrivers think that they are in an airplane. For some reason they think that you have to keep driving until the last bolt falls off of their truck and stops them cold.

Now if they only had a Barth to drive then they might pull over to check it out. I just thought that warning you about driving w/ juice brakes and a vibration was worth the thread drift. If you have airbrakes the worst that will happen is locked up brakes & no air psi.

I like the Oh-Shoot chute. Were can I get me one. Can you hook it up to one of those mystery switches in the dash?

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hilarlee, you need one of the Ahh-shoots now that you have the Banks--sort of like the space shuttle--to slow you down from those high speeds generated by the Banks.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I really think you should call it the Oh-shoot. It sounds more like Oh-sh*t which is what you're going to be saying if you need to deploy it!

So now we have the M-M cord, a Dark Sucker & a Parachute. Did I leave anything out?