Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Lucas oil stop leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lucas oil stop leak
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
Has anyone ever used Lucas Oil Stop Leak and does it work for a Diesel engine? I have a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the head gasket. Was hoping that this might be a solution rather than tearing the engine down.

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jax:
Has anyone ever used Lucas Oil Stop Leak and does it work for a Diesel engine? I have a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the head gasket. Was hoping that this might be a solution rather than tearing the engine down.

Fred & Cindy Cook

Mechanic a can, I get this question every day in my shop. The answer is yes if the leak is coming from a worn out rubber seal. The only problem is the chemicals they use to "swell the seals" also weakens the seals only to have them fail completely a short time later. Also, every seal in the engine will now need to be replaced when before you may have only needed one. In your case I don't know if the head gasket is rubber so I cant be sure if would even be a temporary repair.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Where on the head does the leak show? There are many places where oil will leak, drip, spray out on the Cummins.

I had a head gasket go bad but it was a water leak, I had no choice but replace the head gasket.

I also would NOT recommend any type of additive to stop leaks either water or oil.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Oil Bidness, these "fix-its" were called "mouse milk". None worked, and has been pointed out, many are harmful in the long run.

And an oil leak from a head gasket would be rare, but from a valve cover gasket, fairly common.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys... I will not use the stop leak. It is leaking on the passenger side but it is also wet around the valve cover. The wetness around the valve cover does not seem to be enough to produce the volume dripping on the side of the block. It looks very deceptive as clean looking oil appears to be leaking out of the head gasket. I have already cleaned it up, so a photo now would not show much. I tightened the valve cover and will keep an eye on it and take photos after our next run to Branson next week.

Fred & Cindy Cook

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
On the passenger's side there is an oil pan breather hose. It is below the injection pump but still it get oil up a bit higher. I have replaced that hose and put a longer on it. If that hose is defective or not there, it will wt the entire side of the engine. Your being an 8.3L may be slightly different than mine.

Tightening the valve cover bolts usually doesn't help. Once the valve cover gasket is compromised, it need to be replaced. I do agree with Rusty that most of the top end oil leaking is from valve cover gaskets(s).

Pan bolts are another thing that should be checked.

If you have oil coming out of the bell housing, then you might have a rear main leaking. This is a problem with 5.9L engine for sure. That will wet the entire bottom end of the engine and leave a real mess each time you stop as it gets worse.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post