Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    auxiliary heat
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

auxiliary heat
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted
Here we are on our "matron voyage" with happy faces and many puzzles. Would someone help with this one -- or two -- ?

1. Auxiliary heat switch on the dashboard -- what does it do and where is the auxiliary heat located?

2. There is an AMFAB INC thing that has two hoses (they look like the heating hose from the propane furnace) which are aimed into the bedroom. Nothing comes out of these two hoses when the propane heat is on -- could they be the auxiliary heat that is activated by the mysterious auxiliary heat switch?

Betsy & Carl Feren
1992 30 ft Breakaway
Idgie, Onyx, Princess & Talley the Cat

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is a guess, but it could be the block heater, possibly operating a 120VAC relay; mine is on a 120VAC switch above the driver's seat.

I also have a mysterious "Heat Pad" switch on the wall near the bathroom door, and I have no idea what it does, and neither did the former owner...I suspect it's a heat pad for the FW tank, but I haven't traced the wires yet.

Another possibility is that your switch is for a rear heater core connected to the engine cooling system - my LWB van has rear heat-A/C, and there's a switch for the fan on the dash.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsy:
Auxiliary heat switch on the dashboard -- what does it do and where is the auxiliary heat located?
My auxiliary heater is located under the sink in the bathroom - it sends the heat from the engine coolant into the living room, hallway and bedroom. It runs on 12v.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"what does it do and where is the auxiliary heat located?"

Another possibility: My '86 (gas 454 front engine) had engine auxiliary heat to the water heater, sending coolant through the tank heater while driving (and it worked well!). We could see the red neoprene hoses at the tank under the sink.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Most likely situation - the auxiliary heat switch turns on a blower in the mysterious AMFAB INC thing, which is a gizmo commonly called "motor aided heat" on this site. In addition to the heat ducts you note, odds are there are water hoses connected to it which carry engine coolant to give you "motor aided" heat while you are underway.

Try turning on that auxiliary heat switch while the motor is running, & see if you get air flow from those heat ducts.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Could this switch be connected to an auxillary pump, to pump hot water from the back to the front for the dash heater and heater under sofa and the hot water heater. Mine has hoses from the rear to the front and the water heater and what looks like a pump, but i have not had time to check it out. Thoughts? happy motoring Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Olroy is most likely correct regarding the "motor aid" heating set up. I have two "motor aid" heaters in my coach. Both have heater cores connected to the engine's coolant system. When your engine is up to temperature, switch on the "Aux Heat" switch and a 12 volt blower should produce heat for you through the ducts that you described.

Barth also used "motor aid" heat in their hot water tanks to pre-heat water while driving down the road. When you got to your camping spot, you already had hot water to use.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I have an Aux Heat switch on the left console (see picture) that turns on the fan in the bedroom/hallway to send heat from the engine through a second rear heater and air condioner system. It is a second evaporator and fan that runs off the dash air system. Engine driven compressors are fully capable of supplying cold air to two evaporators. I found that while running the dash ac and turning the switch to on that I can cool the entire coach wihtout using the roof air. To test it run the ac at idle and turn on the switch - you will get cold air out of the black plastic vents at the floor and at the top of the drawer stack next to the bedroom tv.

93 Regency 32 feet, Cat 3208T, 300 hp Allison 4 speed transmission.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Thank you. We tried the switch when plugged in at the campground and nothing came out of the vents. So we will try it when we are on the road again.

We are at 3000 plus miles of our first long trip and are very very happy with our Barth. What are those other folks doing? One man kept walking around -- at a respectful distance. He finally came over to say that this was the most sensible and handsome bus in the park. Nice.

God bless all.

Betsy & Carl Feren
1992 30 ft Breakaway
Three dogs & a cat

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
One man kept walking around -- at a respectful distance. He finally came over to say that this was the most sensible and handsome bus in the park. Nice.

Well, of course he did, because he's right! Diesel pushers under 34' are rare, and AFAIK, only Barth made 'em 28' and 30'.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Well by gosh and bingo! too...

The Auxiliary heat switch on the dashboard does turn on "motor aided heat" while we drive. And we had hot water ready for use when we arrived at the next campground. So, 'nuther one solved.

On the right wall between the bathroom door and the entrance to the rear bedroom, about a foot above the wooden grill (may be the cold air return) is a switch in the off position with no other id. It is connected to two white wires that run back I believe (bifocals are treacherous that way) to an insulated tank. You may have guessed that technical talk is not easy here. Any idea on that switch?

Thanks to all. I appreciate the help.

Betsy & Carl
92 Breakaway 30'
Idgie, Onyx, Princess & Talley the Cat

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

posted Hide Post
Hi Betsy and Carl! Isn't that rear auxilary heat vent great? Gets the coach nice and toasty for your destination. The switch you are asking about is so you can heat your water with AC instead of propane. Of course you need to be plugged in...I've never used it but I bet it draws some power.

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry and Heidi --

Thank you! Nice to hear from you! We've already put 3000 plus miles on this lovely bus and are really happy with it.

Thanks for the news about the water heater. I thought maybe it was for winter camping and kept one tank or another or both from freezing. But we'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. Only hot water I hope.

Betsy and Carl etc etc

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Didn't heat the water -- either it doesn't work or has some other function. Investigation continues...

Betsy & Carl Feren

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway