Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Brakes and Steering Fluid Reservore Again
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Brakes and Steering Fluid Reservore Again
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I was hoping we didn't scare you off. Ask questions if you don't know.

If you're joking about something say "ha,ha,ha" or "just kidding".

When I hear someone talk about brakes or steering and they don't have a clue I try to get them that clue. I am afraid you might hurt someone if you don't do this right.

Keep asking and we'll keep telling you. Lets face it, someone else reading this may be helped out from any mistakes you might make or get additional informatiom they didn't know or even get a laugh (just kidding) See how it works? It's a win, win for everyone.

Keep in touch!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited February 15, 2006).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olroy

I have spent a hour crawling around under the MH and from what I see

Looking in the Orange book page 2-7 it shows the reservore we are talking about but does not name it.

Then on page 6-3 fig 6-4 on the right it shows the Power Brake Hydro Boost system I have.

1. I still can't figure where the line from the Reservore goes too. It looks like it goes back becide the trans and goes back someplace. I need to crawl under again. Sure wish I had it on a rack so I could walk under.

2. I sucked all the fluid out of the reservore and it was a clear dark brown color, not like the clear Dot Fluid I had put into it. Also some black settlement junk came out.

I still don't understand how the power steering Hydro Boost System makes the brakes work better unless some of the fluid it going to the little blue unit on the front side of the master cyl.

3. I checked all the brake lines at the wheels for leakage and see nothing even slightly wet.

I plan to raise the MH as high as I can with the HWH HYD Jack system. Mine are manual as I have to push on the little handles to make each one go up or down and it has red/green lites to tell me it is level. But I rely on my bubble thingies mounted in the cockpit of "Grandmarnier II"
The name of my Barth.

Grandmarnier I was a Hans Christian 38T sailboat we had custom built and lived on back in 1987/89 It displaced 26,500 lbs and 50' 2" overall.

Now my Yacht has 8 wheels. Just wish it was worth as much as the sailboat now when both cost about the same back in 1987. $120,000

I am learning and I hope some others in the WoodWork will learn something from my Follies.
:-)

quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Gordon, i'm sorry I got into this so late, but as far as I can tell from my Chevy orange book, you have one or the other of two different types of brake systems, either standard vacuum boost brakes, or Hydro-Boost.

The vacuum boost system looks, and works just like the power brake system in your car. The Hydro-Boost is a complicated-looking device with hydraulic hoses attached to it. The master cylinder is mounted on the forward end of the vacuum booster or the Hydro-Boost, whichever you have. In either case, the master cylinder looks just like any split system master cylinder with a stamped steel cover over a double reservoir, and a heavy wire bail holding it down.

If you put brake fluid into anything except the master cylinder, it's most likely the power steering pump. As soon as you start the engine, the fluid circulates, and the advice to drain and flush the system holds.

The book says ,"Power steering and brake fluid cannot be mixed. If brake seals contact steering fluid, or steering seals contact brake fluid, seal damage will result."

I wish I could tell you which system you have, and exactly where to find the master cylinder, but I haven't crawled around my own rig (33' '90 Regal) enough to find it. I've done the tag axle bit, but not the main brakes.

Most likely you have Hydro-Boost, and access to the master cylinder is probably through the left front wheel well. Don't shoot me if it isn't there, and if you find it let us all know.

Posts: 30 | Location: Havasu Lake Calif USA | Member Since: 04-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post