Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    toad towing question
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

toad towing question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
I may be purchasing a tow setup to pull a saturn; I will probably do '4 down' rather than dolly; I am interested in recommendations on best way to go towing with a Regency? tnx,

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong towing 4 down if the car is capable of it without heavy modification.

This might be your lucky day, I just saw this ad on CL that might have much of what you need on the cheap! http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/rvs/2210978156.html

Here is a guide that will explain dinghy, flat, toad, towing. http://motorhome.tl.com/dinghytowingguide/

You need to check in your owner's manual or through the dealer to determine if your car can be flat towed. Most commonly they need to be either a standard transmission or 4 WD in order to disconnect the drive line while towed.

As far as brands for tow bars/adapters, there are only a few I'm aware of; Demco, Roadmaster, and Blue Ox. Check their websites to learn the better models. I have a Demco Aluminator. If buying used make sure the slides have been maintained (stainless is better) and there are no obvious fatigue or neglect issues.

Many states require supplemental braking in the toad and there are several approaches to that, the most common being a Brake Buddy device that applies toad braking. Cost new for each item in round figures Quality tow bar $1200, adapter to your car $400, Brake Buddy $900, installation of adapter and wiring, $400 for a total of approx. $2900. Compare this to a quality tow dolly with brakes at about the same price level new. A tow dolly has an advantage in that it will tow any front wheel drive car with no modification.

Hope this helps.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
i tow my jeep with a 69 dollar towbar from ebay!hook lights and go! hmmm/.

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a braking system for your toad?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have been towing for over 20 years. My advice is forget the dolly. All our friends that have had them got rid of them after a couple of years.

If you have a normal Saturn it is probably towable. Check the owners manual to be certain. Also supplemental braking is only required on vehicles over a certain weight. In MN that weight is 3000 pounds. We have two vehicles we tow. The Tracker is about 2500 pounds and no braking required. The Suzuki Vitara is abut 3500 pounds and we have a brake in it.

With a little shopping you can cut way down on the price. I bought my base plate on the internet for under $200. A new Falcon tow bar from Roadmaster at Quartzsite was about $400. Bought a Roadmaster air operated braking system on ebay for $200.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been towing for over 20 years. My advice is forget the dolly. All our friends that have had them got rid of them after a couple of years.

Any reason why? I'm curious.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
I don't currently have a braking system for my saturn, so I will look into this. tnx

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Any reason why? I'm curious.
One more thing to maintain, store, register - as we know, space is a premium in some sites too.

If I was a full timer, or one who used his rv enough to justify it - I would plan my next vehicle purchase to include a vehicle I could tow 4 down.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
For someone thinking of looking for a used vehicle to tow 4 down, I would recommend a Chev Tracker or its Suzuki counterpart from the 2000's.
Cheap and cheerful, particularly useful in 4wd to travel the backcountry here in Arizona, and towing 4 down couldn't be easier because it has a transfer case.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I had a 92 Geo Tracker. It had 318k on the clock when I junked it. It took a flood to kill that lil truck.

What about a Suzuki Samurai for a toad?

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have a '90 Isuzu Amigo 4 wheel drive and no one can tell me if it can be towed 4 down. Not even Isuzu.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a '90 Isuzu Amigo 4 wheel drive and no one can tell me if it can be towed 4 down. Not even Isuzu.

Mary

Mary,

You may have one of the worst vehicles made for Dinghy towing. Torque-on-demand 4WD requires BOTH driveshafts to be disconnected. Ouch Sorry

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We bought a '99 Tracker last fall-- 4X4 2door 5spd standard. Works great-- just put sub-trans in neutral and tranny in 2nd.
The "toad" braking system made by SMI is run off the Barth air brakes system and provides proportional braking response to the Barth braking. Depending where you are, for a light vehicle like the 2 door Tracker, no auxillary brake is necessary, but my view is that brakes are a little like airfield runways, more is always better.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:

Mary, I have the exact same vehicle a '90 Amigo, yes it has a transfer case but it has no "neutral" position to dis-engage the driveline. I have found a spot where the transfer case is dis-engaged but no way to prevent from re-engaging. I could "bungee-cord" the lever but--

Here is the bad news! The transfer case will not like being towed in the "neutral" position, it does not lubricate properly, I got this vehicle because I like the style and it is bigger then a Tracker. I posted all around and finally found someone that did in fact tow the Amigo and burned up the transfer case.

I am in the process of putting a Chev 5.3L V-8, 4L60E+Dana 300 transfer case in it. should be ready to go next year.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in the process of putting a Chev 5.3L V-8, 4L60E+Dana 300 transfer case in it. should be ready to go next year.

You are the personification of Dauntless! I so admire your ability, ambition and sticktoitness. You are awesome and when I grow up I want to be just like you.