Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tank sanitizing/drainage
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tank sanitizing/drainage
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGmobile:
Bill...thanks for the excel file. Interesting info.

Re: Soap...Yes, a Dr. Bronners fan myself! Do you use it for dishes, laundry, bath, all-in-one! Praise God!

We use it for everything except brushing teeth, although they say you can do that, too. Started when backpacking because it was, at that time, the kindest to the land.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You say to always store the fresh water tank empty. Does this mean after every trip? What if it is just sitting for a week or two? I usually leave the tank with what water is left in it when I park it until I get ready to leave for the next trip. Then I empty the water storage tank, partially fill it, empty it again and then fill it for the trip. We do not usually use the water for drinking, but have not found any foul orders or funky looking water. But as I am a new RV'er, I would like to do it correctly.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
anybody have any thoughts on how to add chlorine mix to water tank that is filled only from a standard hose connection? I think there must also be a check valve to pass through? I guess I could try adding mix to an empty hose then connect up to water pressure...

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Bob, your method or a pump as used in winterizing are the only ways I am aware of filling these types. Ours is like yours.

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The method of pouring it directly into the hose works great. Check the 2nd post on this subject.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Bill,
You say to always store the fresh water tank empty. Does this mean after every trip? I would like to do it correctly.
Bruce

There is no such thing as "correctly". We each have to reach our own balance of effort and reward, a la' Jeremy Bentham. I arrived at my way when I had a fiver that was permanently left in a park on the Colorado river with temps up to 130 degrees outside, hotter inside. In addition, the water was a little suspect there. When I started draining my tanks after each trip, our problems went away. My employer had airplanes visiting third world countries with water supplies of doubtful provenance, which necessitated serious draining and purging. These are worst case examples. I choose to be on the safe side of things, but the RV world is full of others who are not as fastidious, and seem to suffer no ill effects. In my own case, I suffered no ill effects prior to being a water sanitation Nazi, but my youngest son had fewer incidences of "not feeling well" after I instituted more rigorous water purifying measures.

quote:
What if it is just sitting for a week or two?

That is where the vodka comes in.

quote:
We do not usually use the water for drinking,

Neither do we. All our drinking water is double filtered and carried in jugs. We even make our own soda water, preferring not to trust the bottlers.

I would say go for it. If all you do is cook, wash and brush teeth, you need not be as fussy about the water. What is right for one family is not right for another. There are a lot of variables.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured out how to flush my tank(s). Seems there's a fresh water drain valve, and a hot water drain valve right off the water pump in the back. I flushed em out, then put in some food grade H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) and filled it back up again. I also have a Brita on-tap filter, so we'll see how it goes. I'll probably buy drinking water anyway, but do you realize that you absorb more water from bathing/showering than from drinking?

73 Barth 23 ft
Chevy 454 factory propane
116k miles, rear double bed

Posts: 23 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-09-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post