Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wider wheels
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wider wheels
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Even my Jag has benefited from wider wheels and tires. Oh, it slides nice!

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It depends - on my SOB Class C, I had 16.5s with 6.5" rims. Three wheels (at least) had warps. Decent replacements weren't available, so I went with 8x16s with 6" rims; the tires have 25% more capacity. I did have to have adaptors machined for the difference in bore.

I've put 7K miles on the new shoes, and have been delighted...the only thing is the rolling diameter is larger than the 16.5s, so I have to watch the speedo....even though I also replaced the spare, it's nice to know the replacment wheels/tires can handle the rear on one unit in case I lose one...

So in choosing a replacement, I'd seriously consider the load capacity...

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hi new bellcranks work better then new tires and big bars up front work great no sway carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill:

Great posting with the flame job behind the wheel wells.

Well you have compelled me to find out how to link a picture. I'm the guy in the picture below on the bowsprit wearing a top hat and holding the umbrella.

As you may guess from the picture and given I have a pre-smog vintage Barth, side pipes connected to the headers is not outside what I may do one day.

To those of you that suggested that the load rating for the tires be checked before purchase, thank you. This is a good point.

There are also some thoughtful posting I found from last August that discuss the handling changes possible on a 22 foot Barth on a P30 frame.

There is so much helpful stuff here, thanks to everyone and especially Dave.

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited January 06, 2006).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Timalana Thats what I call control. JKB All who wander are not lost

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
JKB:

Moments after the picture was taken my feet flew out from under me, lifted by the umbrella I pirouetted into the head sail. Nice (read fortuitous) recovery if I do say so myself. The inner-child thrives!

The get up is from a trip down Baja with a bunch of other boats. At the costume party I was a witch doctor. I "cured" people by feeding them maraschino cherries I had soaked in 151 Rum for a few months. For the people that did not drink the cure was small galss of ginger ale and regular maraschino cherry. We had a good time.

Life rocks, well with a Barth Life rocks.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited January 06, 2006).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Timalana; I have had my days on brothers 32' on Lake Michigan (cold even in the middle of summer) he is in his fifth year or redoing a 38', can't wait to go out in it. JKB all who wander are not lost

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Hmm. A motorsailer ketch with a standing lug rig, and a big lapper hanging off the foremast. Sailboats don't get much weirder than that. And a wild man waving an umbrella while standing on the rail of the bow pulpit. I bet he drives a Barth.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Hmm. A motorsailer ketch with a standing lug rig, and a big lapper hanging off the foremast. Sailboats don't get much weirder than that. And a wild man waving an umbrella while standing on the rail of the bow pulpit. I bet he drives a Barth.

Roy, I was gonna ask what the heck was that boat, but you described it quite well, except that it might be a schooner rather than a ketch. Words alone do not do that boat justice. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

Tim, is there a story behind that boat? I saw similar in the South China Sea, but not with that much jib.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, it is indeed a "schooner", but not one of common ilk...

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Bill, you're right, it's a schooner, not a ketch. I'd call it a junk, but the hull seems to have western lines. On the other hand, the stern appears to stick up like a junk. But junks typically have stubby un-stayed masts. This one has a tall, skinny mainmast with stays. And if junks fly jibs, they're usually smaller, and battened like the other sails. It looks like one man's dream, but whatever it is, i'll bet there ain't another one just like it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Your observations are spot on. Thank you.

Thomas Clovin designed the boat; he calls the design a gazelle. The boat is steel.
http://www.thomasecolvin.com

Olroy is correct the rig is formally called a standing lug rig (no one knows this wow). In the vernacular it is commonly called a junk rig.

Bill and Olroy are also correct the boats in the south china sea do not use a foresail and there are no stays (wires that hold the mast up). This level of observation is what makes the postings here such a delight to read. The Chinese approach allows the operator to just let the sails fly and they will rotate around the mast until they point into the wind and the boat will stop. If I were to start from scratch, I think I would build heavier masts to allow this approach.

Rusty is correct the mast in the back is taller than the mast in the front so she is a schooner. Bill also hit the fact the head sail we were flying was never part of the design. It is a used spinnaker we found at Minnie’s used marine parts in Newport.

The hull is western but the cabin in the back is a marked change from traditional designs.

The boat is easy to sail with one or two people, down-wind. As the wind speed changes the sail is just hoisted or lowered, on most boats this is a three person job on this boat it is easy to do alone; no need to call "All hands on deck". Up-wind she is a motorsailer.

There are some parallels to the Barth, the design is function driven, simple and hence elegant but not something that follows the common aesthetic.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited January 07, 2006).]

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I wondered if Thomas Colvin had a hand in it., he advocates steel hulls & standing lug rigs. Many years ago I had study plans for "Gazelle." The hull lines in your photo don't resemble my recollection of the design., but I only saw it in plan view, not underway.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I would venture to say that that craft has NOTHING of "common ilk".

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi all, sorry I didn't respond on the wheels. I have what were called Ellis Safewide Wheels. My tire size is 33x12.5R16.5. Ellis went out of business and then opened up again as Boxer Wheels. They have folded also. Before they folded they changed to 16 inch wheels which was wise because 16.5 inch tires are becoming rare. I use Dunlop Rover ATs which have a really nice tread. I run at just 50 psi. They run remarkably strait and soft as a car. I guess there just wasn't a big enough market for them.

I do worry however, about being in the boonies and having a flat. My regular 19 inch spare will work in a pinch. Only 6 lugs though.

The tires in the picture were Bridgestones as I recall. I swapped them for the Dunlops because these were too knobby and loud.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 07, 2006).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post