Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    air leaking from unknown valve?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

air leaking from unknown valve?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
I have just developed an air leak at front bulkhead behind gen set access door (see picture and my finger pointing at air diaphram port that is leaking air) this is constant when engine is running and shuts off a few minutes after shut down. Any ideas on fix and what does this control?

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi bob, That is the venturi vacuum generator probably for your HVAC controls in the dash. As long as the vacuum doesn't have a leak, it should just cycle briefly while maintain the vacuum supply for use. However, if there is a vacuum leak, it will run constantly.

I would first check the vacuum lines for leaks, there should be a small reservoir close by, and you could pinch off the tube to it to see if the air out of the venturi stops and does not start. Make sure it is the tube going to the vacuum reservoir otherwise if youu have the air supply line to the venturi, it will blow off.

If the there is a vacuum leak or the venturi unit is bad, it will take the air supply to about 50 PSI before the regulator shuts it off.

If the unit still leaks air with a known good vacuum line, then it is the venturi that has gone bad. I had both of mine give up and I installed a motor driven vacuum pump.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post