Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Aluminum versus fiberglass skins
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aluminum versus fiberglass skins
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Can anyone tell me if a 1995 Regency is all (or mostly) aluminum construction on the exterior? Better yet, perhaps someone knows what years are not aluminum.

I had a bad experience with delamination and am looking at Barth as an opportunity to get away from that specific failure defect. That way I can enjoy other defects instead I suppose.

I would really appreciate the information and hope I have found the right spot. Soon perhaps I'll be able to talk about my Barth!

Corey in NH

Posts: 3 | Location: Bradford NH & Spring Hill, FL | Member Since: 09-13-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Welcome Corey, and I'm not even going to begin to answer your question, not out of disrespect, but because there are a ton of guys here who will do a much better job of it. BTW, you ARE at the right place.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

A '95 Regency is all aluminum except for the upper nose cap, as are all Breakaways, and AFAIK, all Regals.

Dave or another grizzled veteran on the BarthWorld may know if any Barths were skinned with plastic; I'd suspect if any, it would have been a few after Barth took over MCC - and I think the MCCs were Regencies.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Welcome to the forum!

Dave or another grizzled veteran on the BarthWorld may know if any Barths were skinned with plastic; I'd suspect if any, it would have been a few after Barth took over MCC - and I think the MCCs were Regencies.

Some gassers had a glass front. They were called the Euro and have been nicknamed Glassnose.

The first two or three years of the MCC were fiberglass. They look like a stretched FMC. They were badged "MCC" on the front and had a Barth decal on each side. Later Barths on the MCC chassis looked like what we know and love, with metal skin riveted to aluminum channel body framing. The later ones were described as Regency 35RD on a "Regency Model 225 chassis."

Some of the really late Barths had a double skin of aluminum with something spage-age in between. I think the material came from Germany.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to cause drift but just wondering, early Airstream mh and Argosys were Al. Were there any others? Beaver coach or Hawkins? ,of course Prevost and Blue Bird.
Also any reason Monarchs seem to be less valuable than Regency?

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of early Bluebirds were steel. They were made on the school bus line and had to meet rollover standards. I think in the late eighties they switched over to the commuter bus line and no longer met the rollover standards. There is a classic bird site that will have more complete and accurate information. Beavers, I think it depended on the year and model.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Also any reason Monarchs seem to be less valuable than Regency..."

The Regents have a "classic" (corrugated sides) look, together with striking paint schemes (mostly horizontal) that emphasize the body lines and make it appear lower and longer i.e. sleeker; most of the Monarchs have (imho) garish, unattractive paint schemes that mimic the RV hoi polloi.
The Monarchs, with their Spartan chassis and Cummins -325HP8.3 or 400HP- w/Allison 6-speed, are (again, imho) superior mechanically, not to mention the amazing amount of basement storage including -in my case- a 10+'X 8'X ?high pass-through with double compartment doors on each side.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:

The Monarchs, with their Spartan chassis and Cummins -325HP8.3 or 400HP- w/Allison 6-speed, are (again, imho) superior mechanically.

Would you care to elaborate on the superiority of the Spartain chassis over the Gillig?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not wanting to cause drift but just wondering, early Airstream mh and Argosys were Al. Were there any others? Beaver coach or Hawkins? ,of course Prevost and Blue Bird.

Safari Treks are all aluminum, but pop-riveted, not buck-riveted, and the frames are much more widely-spaced. I'm pretty sure the Safari Serengetis are all plastic, but I only looked at a couple.

quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
A lot of early Bluebirds were steel. They were made on the school bus line and had to meet rollover standards. I think in the late eighties they switched over to the commuter bus line and no longer met the rollover standards. There is a classic bird site that will have more complete and accurate information. Bevers, I think it depended on the year and model.

It was announced this summer that Blue Bird was selling its RV division to concentrate on school buses, here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Would you care to elaborate on the superiority of the Spartain chassis over the Gillig?"

Operative caveat was/is: IMHO (in my humble opinion). That noted, how many Barth Gilligs have 8.3 Cummins/6-speed Allison? Primarily, it's "the amazing amount of basement storage including -in my case- a 10+'X 8'X ?high pass-through with double compartment doors on each side" which the Gillig doesn't have.
I won't attempt to elaborate on the "garish, unattractive paint schemes that mimic the RV hoi polloi"statement; it is self evident.

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Gunner, Our 1990 Regency doesn't have the corrugated sides. I think of that as sort of a lapstrake look.
Ours has the large alloy panels, I would say similar to the Breakaway's.
The sides are made of only 3 panels running all the way from the front to the back. One goes from the bottom to just above the wheel openings, then another that goes up to just below the windows and the top one that goes up to meet the radius of the roof. The joint between the panels is hidden by a trim piece that runs from the front to the back.
The front of the coach is made of one large section with cut outs for the lights, rad etc.
No two were built alike I think!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:

The Regents have a "classic" (corrugated sides) look, together with striking paint schemes (mostly horizontal) that emphasize the body lines and make it appear lower and longer.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"corrugated sides. I think of that as sort of a lapstrake look."
Picking nits: (IMHO) The "classic look" is that of the original lapstrake sides, even though it is smooth; I bet yours has a "horizontal" paint scheme (and looks really good). The Monarchs have the same 3 panels; the difference is the swoopy paint design and the "modern" front end.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You have to keep in mind that no two persons taste are alike. Some people, like Gunner, have a fondness for the "Classic Look". Some like the "Modern Look". If all things were equal I would choose the "Classic Styling" too.

But, that doesn't mean that I would ignore a more modern paint scheme. You sure wouldn't catch me "kicking it to the curb" nor would I call it "garish." Just less desirable, "to me", In My Humble Opinion.

Paint can be changed. The bones are mostly the same. I think, IMHO, that a Chevy is better then a FORD. But, I do have a FORD 460 in my coach. Gunner has never made it a secret that he doesn't like the "Swoosh Designs"... I'll bet that you could find several or more posts of his about this.

IMHO: "In My Humble Opinion" is just that, his humble opinion, and shouldn't be thought of anything more then that.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions, humble or otherwise. It helped me make up my mind and I've decided to buy the 1997 Monarch owned by Ed that is advertised on this site. My wife Cheri and I are very excited to join the group. I love the old designs too, but opted for the low mileage and great layout of the 34' Monarch. I'll let you all know how much I love it after I pick it up next Thursday.
Thanks much for all the advice.
Corey

Posts: 3 | Location: Bradford NH & Spring Hill, FL | Member Since: 09-13-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Wow!.....Joined the group, made two posts and bought one Monarch, all within 48 hours.....I like that ! Smiler

Welcome!... Please post your exploits......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post