Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    First time Barth Owner has questions and needs help.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

First time Barth Owner has questions and needs help.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Just purchased a 90 model Barth 32 ft. Regal w/cummins engine a 4 speed auto. This is on a Spartan Chassis. GenSet runs and then shuts off in a short period of time. Seems over temp, but temp gauge does not work. Has a lot of electrical gremlins that I need to figure out. You all are the experts and know what the little idosyscracies of these machines I need to know about. I love the machine, it cruises down the road with the best of them. Although acceleration from stop is pretty slow. Is there anything to do for this? Throttle linkage an issue since this is a pusher? I will post pix soon, but need to get all you Barthites to help a guy out. So any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......

Posts: 3 | Location: Eldon, MO | Member Since: 05-19-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Welcome Clancy.

What is the Genset? Make, size, fuel?

Have you driven a diesel pusher before? It's not going to be a rocket and there is little to be done about it that would not compromise reliability. See if you can take a spin in a similar vintage Spartan chassis with the same engine combo. I'll bet it's just something you need to get used to.

What electrical gremlins?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7.5 kw diesel genset in this unit. Can't seem to get the aux fans for cooling system and genset fan to come on. I have had other motor homes in the past but nothing like this. As far as the pusher goes, I have never driven one before so if this is the way it is so be it. The only spartan chassis I have driven were firetrucks with conventional drivetrain. JUst give me a heads up on anything you think would be useful. I certainly appreciate it. Again this is a great machine and I want to be able to take proper care of it and treat it the way it treats me cruising down the road.....

Posts: 3 | Location: Eldon, MO | Member Since: 05-19-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'm suspicious about a diesel genset overheating in a short period of time. What is short period of time?

My old Kohler did this because the generator was not putting out 110V on both legs. That was a costly repair, but there are plenty of other things that can tell the control panel to shut it down.

While it runs, can you verify it's outputting 220V?

Is you fuel tank high enough for the pickup tube? The genset pickup is purposefully higher than the main engine so that it doesn't leave you stranded. Do you have a manual? What brand generator?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I can comment as to performance. I am also a new owner after seven years as a non-owner on the site. My engine/chassis configuration is probably about the same -- Cummins B5.9 190hp in EC-2000 Spartan chassis. It is QUITE under-powered. Later 230hp version mated to Allison World 6 speed must be much better. Do not expect to cruise above 60mph. Do not expect to maintain speed uphill. Do not expect to merge or pass in a moderate distance. Carry a couple spare FS1242 primary fuel filters (think that is the number)because dirty one will slow you Down even
more.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Clancy, welcome to the forums! You most likely have a 32' Regency withe a Cummins 8.3L TD; there is a 33' pusher (Breakaway) with the 5.9L Cummins, but it's uncommon for them not to have a propane genset. However, no 2 Barths are the same, and any configuration is possible.

If indeed you have a Regency, you may have an air throttle. Throttle cable problems are very rare.

As to the genset issues, Moonbeam mentions the two most likely issues.

And as bill h says, "Diesels do not accelerate, they gather momentum."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clancy B:
So any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......
Welcome to our website.

It sounds like it is probably a Regency if it has a diesel generator - propane would likely make it a Breakaway.

Can you supply us a picture of your coach and one of the data tag that is located around the drivers side - side window usually behind the curtain track but it could also be on a cabinet in the same area. This will tell us what you've got there.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the electric cooling fan on your Onan is not coming on when the coolant gets up to temperature. The genny runs for a short time until it heats up the coolant enough to cause the unit to automatically shut down to prevent overheating.
Check relay R10 in your electrical compartment for corrosion, that is the one for the genny cooling fan. On our coach it is the one on the bottom row, far right side. It should come on by simply pushing on it to close the contacts. If no joy try dressing the contacts with a points file or some fine sandpaper.
Hope this helps.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post