Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dometic Classic Refrigerator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dometic Classic Refrigerator
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Suzie and I went up to Lake Manatee for the weekend and our 9 year old 2 way didn't do the job. The freezer was just able to keep ice frozen and the fridge only maintained about 50. Doesn't seem to matter if it's on gas or 110. We were level, had 117 volts from the power pole, but it was pretty warm, about 77 for a low and 90s during the day. Thoughts?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Bypass the control board and wire ac directly to the heater. This will check out the cooling unit as it runs wide open for as long as you keep it plugged in.

If it doesn't cool down as needed it may need a new cooling unit.

If it cools way down (should go down to at least zero in the freezer) then probably thermostat or control board.

Some folks have had luck by removing refrigerator and turning upside or a while and then restarting.

Good luck.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Disconnect the 120VAC from the control board so you don't backfeed and damage it. However, the symptoms are more of a refrigerant leak, since it doesn't run well on LPG. Also note that Dometics tend to be very sensitive to being level.

You can also check the position of the thermocouple; pull it from the fins to run the reefer at a higher output.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Some folks have had luck by removing refrigerator and turning upside or a while and then restarting.
Good luck.

I have heard the same thing. Leave upside down for a day, then right side up for a day then turn on and test. I have not done this myself but I have heard from 2 different people it worked for them.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Dometic had a recall for 1997 to 2003 models and it has been expanded to 2003 to 2006 models. Refer to www.dometic.com for specific model mumbers

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Shut the fridge off all day yesterday and leveled the coach and started it back up last night. This am +2 in the freezer and 30 in the fridge. I didn't have the coach leveled when I turned it on last week and we never shut it down to thaw out. Comments?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it's working normally. The Dometic in my SOB would work left-side-high, but was sensitive to right side even a bit high.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Premature celebration. By this afternoon we had 25 in the freezer and 50 in the fridge.

79 Barth Classic

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check the outside compartment for a yellow tint; that's indicative of a leak. DO NOT run it it anymore if that's seen.

I'd guess that it's at end-of-life... Frowner

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
No yellow tint, and no odor of ammonia. The old one stunk really bad when it went. Sure hope I'd get more than 9 years out of a 1300 dollar fridge! My partner suggested the flue could be clogged. I'll be checking that next, then try some of the electrical testing if I can figure out what you guys are talking about.

79 Barth Classic

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Try the upside down thing. It has worked twice for people I've talked to. Costs little to try… if you have to remove it to replace it, then flip it and set it on the ground to test.

It could be a flue problem, there is often soot built up in there. This is one of the reasons why these things have a reputation for fires, people don't keep them clean. OTOH, flue problems usually don't bother the performance except when running on gas.

9 years is a bit short and them things ain't cheap. confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I have always leveled my coach to avoid a frig problem. Does anyone know if you were to park on the shoulder of a road on a 3% to a 5% angle (for several hours) (with the frig NOT in current use)would this cause future problems???...Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Reefer quitting when not level will usually recover when levelled. Inverting the unit as previously mentioned will sometimes shake the internal compounds loose.

As a preventive measure, reefers should be run every couple of months.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Steve, I checked with a local crane company and they said it would be at least a thousand dollars to turn the coach over, and thinking about all the stuff inside I really don't want to go that route.
The flue sounds like a cheap next try. My partner mentioned a chain in the top of the flue that you just yank on a few times and it's supposed to clean the gunk out. He thinks this is for a Norcold but is not sure.
The longest this fridge has sat unused might be about 3 months. We really try to use the coach at least that much.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
I checked with a local crane company and they said it would be at least a thousand dollars to turn the coach over, and thinking about all the stuff inside I really don't want to go that route.

ROTFLMAO
ROTFLMAO
You should have posted that one April first Click

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post