Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Radio access
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Radio access
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted
I looked quickly through posts on the subject, but didn't find anything relevant.

Our 1979 Toaster has the original 2-knob analog dial Craig AM/FM radio in the dash. Only one of the four speakers is producing sound ("real" mono), so I will be first trying to figure if it is the radio, speakers or wiring. I suspect wiring. The eventual plan is to put in an AM/FM/CD head unit, but that is eventual for now.

To get to the wiring behind the radio (or to eventually upgrade), the radio must come out. It mounts behind the dash. There is no obvious easy access to do this. Before I start removing everything that looks like it is in the way, is there a way to get the radio out without disassembling the entire dash? I know someone out there has been through this before.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We have a 77 20 ft and for ours --"The bad news and the good news" is the same--- you have to remove the dash.
Maybe yours is a bit easier/better-- good luck

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted Hide Post
That's what I was afraid of. A very short-sighted design feature if you ask me.
Is there a procedure documented anywhere or do I just start taking stuff off? Usually, once you start something like this, you end up taking something off that you didn't need to or breaking some irreplaceable part you didn't see until too late. I may just wait until I have to remove the dash for some better reason. I can always pack along a portable radio or CD player and headphones...

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHowe
posted Hide Post
I changed mine several years ago, I didn't remove the dash. Seems to me I was able to weasle it out via the drivers side, either that, through the hole for the heater control. Recommend a cd unit with a remote. I'll try to look at it this weekend.

Posts: 23 | Location: Chicago Area | Member Since: 04-10-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
Any advice on how or the best way to remove the dash with smallest amount of stress and damage?

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Radio shops have special tools for releaing different brands of radios. Can't hurt to ask, might save some time and a few cuss words.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this will help. The forward part of the engine dog house is removable on my coach giving access under dash. your vintage has the a/c unit mounted above that area, but you may still have access around that. On both our 86 Regal and 76 class C the speaker wiring was the same with a pair of spade connectors for each speaker.

Just to add the screws for the forward dog house were hidden under the carpet.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if it might be possible to dremel out the area between the two knobs to remove the radio from the front rather than having to remove the whole dash?

Posts: 27 | Location: Austin | Member Since: 01-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
This is one job I would just leave to the pros. If you have a good stereo shop in your area, use it. They will be able to remove and replace the radio with no damage and it will be done right. I'm not insulting anybodys abilities here, but skinned knuckles and possible electrical damage aren't worth the cost savings.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post