Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    fixing dim headlights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

fixing dim headlights
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
Before I start messin with the wires, I tested my d.c. volts at the battery at 14.4. with the low beams on I get 12.3 at the bulb. with the high beams on I get 10.4 at both the high beam bulb and the low beam bulb. This does not make much sense to me because I can see fine with the high beams on. Can anyone explain this?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone installed plug & play HID lights?

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
Before I start messin with the wires, I tested my d.c. volts at the battery at 14.4. with the low beams on I get 12.3 at the bulb. with the high beams on I get 10.4 at both the high beam bulb and the low beam bulb. This does not make much sense to me because I can see fine with the high beams on. Can anyone explain this?

You can see fine, but you're not getting all the output. There have been a couple of threads on fixes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Has anyone installed plug & play HID lights?"

I don't even know what those are. I put some syvania Silverstars in because the lights were too dim and they still are. (for conversation sake, they are aligned properly)

"You can see fine, but you're not getting all the output. There have been a couple of threads on fixes."

Slight correction Rusty, Can't see fine and not getting all the output. My question is: any reason why the voltage drops when I switch to high beams but visability improves? Perhapps it is just because the beam points higher up. Any idea where I can get one of those tools to measure lumens or lux?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With the high beams, you've got four lights, and as you suspect, aiming, especially with the SilverStars, makes a difference. I'm still futzing with the aim of mine two years after installation...

However, the voltage drop you're getting at the lights isn't up to snuff. The first thing to check is the headlamp grounds, and has been suggested, running an extra ground isn't a bad idea. You should see at least 12.5V on high beam

HID is "high intensity discharge" (xenon) lights, which give a bluish tint (although ones more toward yellow are available). The output is produced by an arc, and requires a ballast to operate. They're brighter and more efficient than tungsten-based lamps, and considerably more expensive.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty! I will check on that ground right now.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
BTDT, Although checking grounds are a good idea, I think you will find what I and others have found. In the construction of the Barth, to make it somewhat modularized, Barth used a LOT of connectors, splices to get from various switches to the load. Headlights are notoriously dim on Breakaways and it because of the voltage drop along the electrical path from the battery buss to the headlights. Increasing the size of the lights only makes matters worse.

It seems that all Barths are somewhat different so this may or may not apply to your case.

I added an extra relay, the high beams were already controlled thru a relay and not directly from the switch so I just duplicated the high beam circuit for the low beams. I now have full battery voltage at the headlights when all are on. Night riving is no longer stressful or dangerous.

Here is a link to writeup of what I did.

Breakaway headlight brightness improvement

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
BTDT, Although checking grounds are a good idea, I think you will find what I and others have found. In the construction of the Barth, to make it somewhat modularized, Barth used a LOT of connectors, splices to get from various switches to the load. Headlights are notoriously dim on Breakaways and it because of the voltage drop along the electrical path from the battery buss to the headlights. Increasing the size of the lights only makes matters worse.

It seems that all Barths are somewhat different so this may or may not apply to your case.

I added an extra relay, the high beams were already controlled thru a relay and not directly from the switch so I just duplicated the high beam circuit for the low beams. I now have full battery voltage at the headlights when all are on. Night riving is no longer stressful or dangerous.

Here is a link to writeup of what I did.

Breakaway headlight brightness improvement

I have never owned a vehicle that did not benefit from Bosch relays. Don't forget the tail/clearance lights. A relay takes the load off the light switch and makes it live longer, in addition to making things brighter.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
HID: is High Intensity Discharge lighting (plasma arc) found on a lot sports/luxury cars. HID can provide 3-6 times the amount of light as a normal halogen at a lower amperage. This lighting used to be very expensive but prices for HID kits have dropped drastically some as low as $80. They are plug & play. If you have sealed beam 4" x 6" rectangular (early '80's Cadillac), you will need to buy the projector beam housings which range from $40-$50. FYI the low beam housing is H4656 and high beam is H4651. Look for kits made in Japan or Europe with a lifetime warranty.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post