Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    First Time for Bilsteins.....
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

First Time for Bilsteins.....
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Getting ready install Bilsteins on a P-30, replacing what looks like the originals after 74k mi & 25 years. Several website boards talk about the need to weld or otherwise reinforce shock mounts for the Bilsteins....

What's this about?...What's involved?...Are there better ways to accomplish this? Can I reasonably expect a heavy-truck shock-shop to know about this and do the right thing?

I assume this would be the logical Job-1 to be addressed as I work my way through the complete suspension system - am I right or wrong? (balance & alignment "feel" good for right now...existing shocks are the only noticeable defect....)

Any & all insight appreciated....

Lee
'78-24 footer
The restoration begins....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Lee, if you give me your Email address, I will send you the sheet on reinforcing the rear upper mounts from Bilstein. It is simple. Any decent arc or MIG welder can do it in 10 minutes or less.

You are correct that the Bilsteins are a good place to start. I would also recommend the IPD or Hellwig front anti-sway bar as a start. A Bilstein steering stabilizer would be good, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill! It's: leeschiek@hotmail.com

Sidebar item: In surfing the 'net, it seems that a set of Bilsteins is gonna end up around $300 +/- 10%, regardless of source.
I'm prepared for that, but curious about the "new take-off" Bilsteins that are always listed on e-bay for less than half that.....Allegedly used only to get the chassis from the mfgr to the after-market body or coach builder.....

Is this something worth considering, or should I just go with new-in-the-box for the peace of mind & warranty? (And, if Bilsteins are THE shock to have, why are buyers of new bare chassis taking them off to install something different?....Hmmmm.....

Bilstein stories, warts & all, are solicited!

Lee
'78-24'/p30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I put on a pair in the front and it made a world of difference over the Monroes. Handling is a lot better when the big trucks fly by you doing 80+. I bought mine from AJUSA.com for about $76 each, but free shipping was the big bonus.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
If you are installing yourself try eshocks.com or www.rvaddons.com You shouldn't pay more than $80. each.

If you want them installed and are near a Camping World they regularly have their $5 installation specials.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the take off's on ebay and am happy to say they are like new in every sence of the word. I purchased the rear from eshocks 149.00+ shipping. The difference in handling and ride are night and day. before the bilstiens semi's and windy days had me and my nerves all over the road. As to the reason they are removed I've heard there is one other brand that I've been told is the top of the line. Can't remember the name. Bill h sent me the diagram for the modifacation for the rear shock but the brackets on my P30 are completly different, look sorta like the liberty bell on it's side. (minus the crack) Anyway best of luck with yours. I couldn't be happier with mine. Bootdude

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"As to the reason they are removed I've heard there is one other brand that I've been told is the top of the line. Can't remember the name....."

Koni?....Which then begs the question: Why not by-pass Bilsteins/Monroes, etc. and just use what the Big Guys use when building-up a coach suspension?

I don't want to beat this to death, but I'm a little confused...I've read all the various chat board endorsements from individual end-users regarding Bilsteins, while at the same time manufacturers of new units are strippin them off the new chassis they buy and replacing them with "something better".....

I'm sure virtually ANYTHING I install will seem like a miracle after the OEM shocks with 74K miles & 25 years in-service...But if I'm going to commit $400-500 for the best long term cure, shouldn't I be looking at the "ultimate" in shock choices, even if it involves a few extra bucks?

I must be missing some logic here...HELP!

Lee
Wash. DC

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
what is the:

quote:
"ultimate" in shock choices

Bilsteins/Monroes,Koni...or????

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have Bilsteins on my Breakaway, and while I got the coach with them installed, I'd have to say they do the job. Despite its absurdly short wheelbase, StaRV II tracks very well, with no bad habits. That may be due to other things that have been updated/replaced, but I'd replace Bilsteins with Bilsteins if it were needed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Bilstein has been my choice for several motorhomes, Dodge and P30. Always improved handling and ride. Not so Monroes, which I got a real deal on. Put Bilsteins on my Chevy pickup and ride got better by far. shoulda done it sooner. I used Konis on a tow car due to their adjustability, but that was fancy tuning not needed on a MH.

Way back to dune buggy racing, Bilsteins were the only ones I didn't burn up. Yep, burn up. The shafts got straw yellow from the heat. Paint on shocks blistered. On some US circle track shocks or something. I also had free Kayaba shocks at the time. Didn't last. Neither did Boge. Bilstein took it in stride. And lasted.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Shortly after starting this thread over three years ago, I installed Bilsteins all around. 6k miles later, I'm still delighted with their performance and characteristics - it was one of my better decisions. According to other forums, the need to reinforce rear mounts on older chassis' is NOT snake oil....Mine were reinforced, with zero problems, even after some severe chuckhole encounters.....

Having said that, and after going through the entire suspension/steering systems, I've got to give the most credit to Steer Safe, the elephant-trap contraption with all the springs and fulcrums. Somehow it must back-load all the linkages, bellcranks, joints & tierods in such a way as to take-up the P-30's inevitable front end slop.....

Coupled w/ the Bilsteins, I now have a VERY stable machine that's FUN to drive........

posted Hide Post
SO, I just checked the eshocks.com site and they only list Bilsteins for the front of the 1972 P30 motorhome chassis. Can one of you experts tell me if that's because they didn't use shocks on the rear back then?

I'm thinking I'll save some $ by buying the shocks before I take the "Toaster" to the shop for the front end renovation it needs so badly. It is not only no fun to drive due to the worn and sloppy front end, it is work to do so when being passed by large vehicles on the highway.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
I have a 1979 p-30 chassis also could you send me the info on the shock mount also? E-Mail; is rpugh9@cfl.rr.com Thanks Richard

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I believe all P30s use rear shocks. Call Eshocks and talk to them about fitment. Also, check other sites and brands for PNs. It is likely that the same PN fits a whole lot of years.

Richard, the info is in the mail. If it does not come through, let me know and I will send it when I get back to the Information Age. We are in the desert with an unreliable, overloaded, slow, and quirky internet connection.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Bilstein Motorhome shocks for '78 P-30:

FRONT: F4-B46-1173-H3
REAR: F4-B46-1587-H1

I gotta think that's a good number for several years on either side - don't think that much was changed.....billh sent me welding reinforcement info for installer, but I lost it...