Barthmobile Portal
Serpentine Madness

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/5131062613

07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Medic37
Serpentine Madness
Had my serpentine belt and belt tensioner replaced in October of 2005; just prior-to Minnesota Winter Storage.

Now, in July of 2008 [and only 11,000 miles later], the tensioner does not seem to hold proper tension on the belt and the belt has a crack in-it, thus, both requiring replacement [again]...

...what-the-heck would cause such an exagerated "wear" on these items in such a short period of time / mileage???

I am now officially a Parts Runner...

...spoke-with the mechanic late yesterday afternoon ...needed the new tensioner. He said he could have-it by NOON today ...I want to hit-the-road by 1300. So, I told-him I would go and pick-up the part and deliver-it by 0830 this A.M. He thought that was such a good idea that he asked if I could pick-up a few other parts for him while I was there ..."no problem!"

Anything to get the beast back on the road!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Rusty
I don't know about Cummins engines, but my GM 6.5L TD has a damper pulley on the crankshaft, that drives the accessories. I replaced it because the old one's rubber had gone bye-bye. I noticed something was off because the tensioner was "busy".

Also, with the belt off, check all the accessories for free rotation.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
timnlana
I had a new truck that just ate belts. It turned out this engine had shims of different thickness behind each pully.

It was a new truck and not until I ended up at dealership number 4 did the guy working on the truck ask, "Hey where are the shims?".

Maybe this applies to what you are seeing. None the less I suggest following Rusty's plan first.

Besides I have no idea how to check to see if the pullys are all in the same plane.

Good Luck:

Timothy