Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane seal question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane seal question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
Hello, I am replacing the fill fitting on my propane tank and need some advice.
When I removed the old fitting I removed the whole assembly with overfill cut off valve (four bolts) so I could replace that seal also. Well it turns out the company does not supply this seal any more. It looks like it is just an “o” ring that has been flattened out over 30 years. Does anyone see a reason why a generic “O” from a hardware store that fists properly would not work? Does propane require a special
material to be compatible? Any advice would be appreciated.

Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
....Don't know about mechanical requirements of o-rings, but chemical compatibility with propane can be found at:

http://www.efunda.com/designst...=none&SC=Propane#mat

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Yes that is very helpfull

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
Thanks, Yes that is very helpfull
When you do figure out what to use, would you supply a part number and link to the item so someone in the future will have the info. Thanks Neil Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Well I wish I could offer a proper fix on this one but I had no luck finding a seal. On closer inspection it looks like the seal may have actually been flat and also has fiber reinforcement in it. I checked with local seal suppliers but did not come up with anything. I tried the OEM root again but no one wanted to clame this 32 year old tank. I ended coating the seal with TFE past and carefully torqued it down. I pressurized it up to 180PSI and had no leaks overnight. I will put a couple a gallons of propane in it just to see if it will leak over time, Or I may just do the right thing and spring for a new tank. Has anyone ever converted to portable tanks? I like the idea of just taking the tank to the fill station and not the whole RV.

Neil.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"