Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Another air leak problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Another air leak problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
In the process of getting my unit out of storage and ready for it's first trip this year, I have discovered another air leak. It appears to be coming from a cannister on top of the air dryer unit. There is a small hole on the side of the cannister that leaks air sometimes, not all the time. I only notice it leaking when the pressure is up and the engine is off. It is located on the right hand side behind the rear axle mounted on the outboard side of the chassis ( see picture). Thinking that the hole may be caused by rust, I was prepared to seal the leak when it suddenly stopped and didn't leak again until two days later. It seemed to stop after a purge cycle. After some research on the forum and my manuals, I still cannot pinpoint whether this is normal or that maybe the cannister needs replacing.

If this is a service item, is it something that I can do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the large picture. My travel computer's picture editor will not reduce the size.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a midland air drier. The air drier cartridge that has holes rusted in it. You screw it off the aluminum housing and replace it with a new cartridge. Any truck supply store should have one if they are still available. If not replace complete unit.

Posts: 35 | Location: Southeast Kansas | Member Since: 10-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Nance:
That is a midland air drier. The air drier cartridge that has holes rusted in it. You screw it off the aluminum housing and replace it with a new cartridge. Any truck supply store should have one if they are still available. If not replace complete unit.
Exactly... that is a spin-on airdryer element.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help guys ---- I'll start looking for one tomorrow.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Just thought I would post you up on this repair, having done most of it myself with some help from my son. We had to remove the whole unit from the chassis because there wasn't enough clearance to remove the cartridge. The "spin off" cartridge is misleading. I had to take the whole unit to a welding shop with a big vise mounted to a big metal table, crush the cartridge with the vise, attach a large C-clamp to the base and then twist the base from the cartridge. After almost 20 years the cartridge did not want to "spin off". The cartridge kit cost $140 and seems to work fine. My advice to anyone else who does this job is to prepare for the worst and expect to take several hours ( unless you have better tools than I do).

Thanks again for your help.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis