Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wedgewood Stove in 1981 Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wedgewood Stove in 1981 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
In preparing my 1981 Barth for my first trip, I noticed that the stove does not appear to have a pilot light or an igniter for the stove burners. Is this normal for this vintage stove? If so, does anyone know of a retrofit igniter for the burners.

Although I can live without a pilot or ignitor I thought it strange not to have come with one.

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Barry,

This is common. Even most of the newer coaches (I think) still require an external flame to start. Those of us who use our stove frequently carry out butane fire starters as an important tool as much as the keys to the ignition.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine you push down on knob to light. No match or lighter required.

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited January 18, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
If this is a 4 burner unit the pilot is located under the stove top dead center.

And always blows out when you are under way.

You have to lift the whole top to light it.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I am sheepishly laughing. I better go check mine. We just assumed that all RV stoves had to be lit externally. I don't think we ever looked for a pilot.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
On my stove there's a knob that you turn to ignite a magneto spark ala gas grills. You simply turn on the gas and turn the knob till the smell of gas is about to knock you out, then turn it off, air out the coach and light with a butane lighter. Very simple!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That little pilot light in the middle of your 4-burner makes the top hot as blazes. Pilots have a tendency to go out, but the gas keeps flowing. Saw a trailer blow up many years ago from that suspected cause. Ever since, I've used a butane match. Easy, safe, and convenient, as long as you don't forget where you put it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your information.

I think I will just use the giant butane match for now. I do not think I need another pilot light to worry about.

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post