Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    So what are you towing?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

So what are you towing?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Wondered if any owners of 28' Regals with the 454/TH400 engine and tranny combo are towing anything 4-wheels down? If so, what and how much does it weigh? Trying to figure out how much weight I can tow behind my '85 Regal. Asked a lot of people but got a lot of fuzzy answers so I figured the best answer would be from Barth people that do it. Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
We tow a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4wd. I don't have the actual weight but the tag lists it at 4134. My actual on the Barth is 13229. With 19000 GCWR we are within safe limits assuming the listed Blazer weight is within 1000 of actual.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim
I have a 95 460 ford 31 ft Regal and towed my 2008 CRV four down with no problem
I tow with demco tow bar and us gear braking.Just returned from 5000 mile trip and all worked fine.....hardly felt it back there!

Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff H
posted Hide Post
I am probably not the best example living in the flatlands. But, I tow a 5000 lb. boat fully loaded and fueled all summer long with no problems. Don't even know it is there until I hit a bigger "hill" then it slows a bit.

Posts: 30 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 01-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Barth now has a 502, but previous P30s pulled 4000-5000 lb boats, 4WD, etc with 454 and TH400. Present 454 pickup pulls 12k trailer up Chiriaco and Yarnell hill.

The 454 is a pullin' fool.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
We flat tow a 2002 Jeep Liberty with a Blue Ox tow bar. I also have a 15' cargo trailer I sometimes tow. It's close to 5000 lbs and the Barth pulls it with no problem.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When towing a boat do you launch the boat at the boat ramp with your Barth?

Posts: 42 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Member Since: 04-27-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattR:
When towing a boat do you launch the boat at the boat ramp with your Barth?

Yes, but not after dark.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen 2WD pickups get their back wheels wet with a big boat and spin and slid backward. I'm concerned about that. I guess a barth would have a lot of weight in the back. I'm thinking maybe you can get a super long trailer so you don't have to get so close to the bottom of the ramp ...

Posts: 42 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Member Since: 04-27-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
PostI've seen 2WD pickups get their back wheels wet with a big boat and spin and slid backward. I'm concerned about that. I guess a barth would have a lot of weight in the back. I'm thinking maybe you can get a super long trailer so you don't have to get so close to the bottom of the ramp

.......put a hitch on the front of the RV, keep the drive wheels out of the water

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
PostI've seen 2WD pickups get their back wheels wet with a big boat and spin and slid backward. I'm concerned about that. I guess a barth would have a lot of weight in the back. I'm thinking maybe you can get a super long trailer so you don't have to get so close to the bottom of the ramp

.......put a hitch on the front of the RV, keep the drive wheels out of the water
Hello I overcame that problem easily by installing a front trailer hitch,it was surprisingly easy on my sparton chasis.This eliminates skidding,plus a panoramic view while launching.Wally 34ft monarch van=isle

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you launch with rear hitch. PU have no weight on rear ends. Your Barth has plenty. Besides having to do the front to rear switch I would have great concern on the reverse gear on a TH400 handling the load of the Barth and boat backing up a ramp.

I have not use my Regal to launch any boats, but have towed and launched boats for years with my previous SOB Class C. Even with wet ramps there is so much weight on the rear end I never spun wheels.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I launch my boat all the time. I have a front hitch I made but I have never used it to launch the boat. If I have room there is no problem. The first time I did it, the dock boy stood wide eyed and mouth agap. When I had the boat in and came out he said" I never seen anyone try that". With the overhang I am way out of the water. Traction galore. I would NOT try it anywhere that doesn't have a cement ramp!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, all;

My own "toad" is a folding bicycle usually carried inside the motor home, but it can be put on the roof rack on the top also. While it is stored inside its carrying bag, I put it on the roof and lash it to the rack mainly in good weather. The bag is not truly watertight. When is is raining, it will go inside. Which actually is a lot of the time up here in Latte Land.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latte Land, Washington

Posts: 48 | Location: Latté Land, Washington  | Member Since: 12-03-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen a Barth Towing a Barth trailer?
Pulling something like this if is is one ... http://thenoshery.com/glamper-redo/