Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Light Steering
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Light Steering
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
While driving the 85 Regal, P32, 28', the last couple of days, I noticed the steering to be sort of 'light'. I differentiate 'light' from 'loose'. Previous owner had replaced one bell crank and it has a Bilstein steering stabilizer. Tires are Goodyears at 70psi, the minimum recommended by Goodyear for my size. Front air bags are 60# and rear air bags are 70#. Can you adjust the steering some way to make it a little heavier? To keep it in a straight line requires a good bit of attention and a fair amount of steering wheel correction. I've never had it aligned since tire wear seems to be good. Front GAWR is 5000# and I'm right at that. Rear GAWR is 10000# and I'm a little less than that with a full load of fuel and water. Would appreciate any help.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
P30s respond to a lot of camber. The factory specs specify more camber for the motor home than for bread trucks.

As far as your air bag pressures, they don't mean much. As the springs sag, more air pressure is required, so a pressure that was right a while back is now too low. Air your fronts to a bump stop clearance of 1 3/4 to 2 1/2. Aim toward the high side of that range if your bumpers look a little collapsed or tipsy.

The rear ride height is correct when the frame rail is level when sitting on level ground. My rear springs are so saggy that I use Hellwig LP-35 adjustable helpers in addition to the Air Lift bags.

Every spring, once you get your heights right, you can use the same pressure settings all summer.

A Steersafe or Safe T Steer helps centering, too. I am told they really make a difference when a front tire blows. Fortunately, no experience there.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Jim, I installed SteerSafe three years ago and have been very pleased with the difference it made. An elephant-trap looking device with various levers, fulcrums & springs, it is an
easy DIY install - about 45 minutes per side.

I LUV the way it tracks, and steering wheel feedback seems just right for me. If tracking is off a little, it's just a matter of a couple turns tighter on the spring on one side and an equal loosening on the other side.

It's touted as a real control help on blow-outs....So far, I can't advise on that Eeker

If there's a negative, I suspect that the system might mask or hide potential problems growing in other areas of the steering mechanism, but that's only an uneducated guess on my part.

It won't cure or correct pre-existing alignment issues....it'll just make a good set-up feel even better.

FMI: www.steersafe.com

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Lee, I discovered that in addition to needing to install the drivers side bell crank, both front shocks and the steering stabilizer were el-cheapos. So, have ordered Bilsteins to replace all, new air bags for front and dropped tire pressure to 65# which is what Goodyear now says I should have had all the while. We'll see what that does. Also, heard of something called 'Safety Plus' that really tightens up the steering but it's quite expensive--over $500 plus labor. We'll see what the other stuff does first. Thanks for the tip.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,
If you haven't seen it before, try

http://users.sisna.com/cebula/...AlignmentProcess.pdf

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post