Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dinghy Towing???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dinghy Towing???
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello everyone, I hope Christmas and the new years was good for everyone. I own a Barth that is the same as the Chropratic office or the X-Ray Vehicle on the Barth CD. It is 1988 Chev 454 with the P30 chassis the title had no information about the GVW, GVWR, GCW or the GCWR. All it say is weight 060 (not sure what that is). Can you tell me the maxium weight that a dinghy can be? Also please let me know if a 1996 Buick Regal 3800 SericesIII Automatic V6 is a car that may be a dinghy? Or maybe a few type around that year or a little older hat work well. Thanks again for your help Dave

------------------

Posts: 8 | Location: Jackson, SC,USA | Member Since: 08-29-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dave, how long is your Barth and how heavy is your Buick?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I don't have the answer, too many variables that are unknown. The FMCA magazine has an annual towing guide, which may be of help. This is a link to that current article and within it is a list of towable vehicles, but you must be a member to access this part. I could help with that if I knew what the vehicle was you wanted to tow.

http://www.fmca.com/motorhomingguide/towing/

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, Check the following site for flat-towable vehicles:http://www.towingworld.com/towables.html
You will note that no Buicks are listed as capable of being flat-towed. Hope this helps.
Stu

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Barth is 33 foot long and the buick regal weighs 3232 lbs. Thanks for your help guys.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jackson, SC,USA | Member Since: 08-29-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Dave, your limit on towing is 3500 lbs. You car is well within that. As far as how to tow it, I am pretty positive that you can not tow it 4 down. As far as dolly towing and towing it backwards, I seem to have read it is a no mo. But actually, that has never come up in my experience. Now it is important since you have a 33 footer that you take your coach to a certified hitch guy welder and have the hitch inspected. You coach more than others has had an extension welded on to the chassis frame to make it a 33 footer. Have those welds checked or you can actually have your hitch upgrade from a Class II, 3500 lbs to a Class III, 3500-6000 lbs. It should cost $250 or less. Even if your car weighs 3200 lbs, I bet you will be stuffing that trunk and maybe the back seat with extra stuff.

I am sorry I can not add anything one pulling the car backwards. As I recall because the engine is at the back it just doesn't track well. Check it out and let us know. But, always make sure you have plenty of room on that hitch and that everything lines up horizontally.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 06, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
There is another very good forum for rv owners called www.irv2.com I searched on towing backwards with a dolly. The overall opinion is "don't even think about it"

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=7...646043323#3646043323

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Another point to consider is dingy braking. With a heavy vehicle like your Buick, I wouldn't tow it without auxiliary braking. There are several units on the market that work well. I use a Brake Buddy and am happy with it.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post