Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Relay part number?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Relay part number?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Anyone know this relay part number or manufacturer? ON a '94 Breakaway, relay panel is on passenger's side of the engine compartment. This relay connects the coach system to the chassis system while the Key is on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

White arrow pointing to relay in question.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Why don't you contact Spartan (parts dept)
who are the chassis manufacturer??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It certainly looks and sounds like the Emergency Start relay, that parallels the coach and chassis batteries.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this helps, but a couple of people were talking solenoids in this thread:

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/...381078061#3381078061

Posts: 45 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
It certainly looks and sounds like the Emergency Start relay, that parallels the coach and chassis batteries.

I think it may serve the same purpose when the key is off, but when the key is on, this relay is energized. I do not have isolators in the charging system, only this relay, as I mentioned in my first post, it connects the chassis 12 volt system to the coach 12 volt system.

It is now intermittent and sometimes I have to bang on it to get it so that the coach batteries are on the charging circuit. This is also the relay that I have added the delay so that it does not come on immediately when I switch on the key (as it was designed!) the charging circuit must be over 13.1 volts for 15 seconds (which means the engine is running and the alternator is charging) before it can come on line.

The referenced thread is talking about a relay that is in the front electrical panel, the relay I need info about is in the engine compartment and serves a different function, thanks for the try!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You've probably already checked this - jumped the primary (bypassing the time-delay circuit)...does the alternator put out 13.1V at the primary? - if the chassis battery is low, it may take a while for voltage to build up in the chassis battery to energize the circuit.

Here's the Intellitec time delay. Maybe you can find something here - any same-rated continuous-duty part should work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Intellitec only lists a generic description of the relay itself...I don't think they make them.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Everything is working, I have taken the delay out of the circuit and no change, even when I use the aux start switch, it doesn't always connect the house batteries to the chassis batteries. Had the wife hold the aux switch and went back and gave the relay a whack and it came on line.

I may just take it out and see what is up, many times you can just turn over the contactor washer and rotate the bolt heads 180 degrees and have a new surface to work with. Just wanted to get ready to get a new one if this one is beyond hope.

Thanks for the various links guys!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"DON"T force it. Get a bigger hammer..." Mad

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
A half century ago I had to replace the voltage regulator on my '53 Packard, at 3:00 AM in Gila Bend, AZ which was a much narrower spot in the road than it is today. Neither of 2 all night service stations had a replacement, so I went through a catalog of rebuilt units, found one with appropriate electrical characteristics that fit a Plymouth, & installed it, though the mounting holes didn't match. Why I had to do it in the middle of the night, & and how I made it fit make a wonderful story, but it's too long for this discussion.

My point is, your faulty relay should have some indication of its electrical characteristics, & even though you may not find one that looks the same, you should be able to find one that matches it electrically. Good parts counter guys who enjoy a challenge make wonderful friends.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post