Barthmobile Portal
Steering Column Relocation

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4971046222

12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
MWrench
Steering Column Relocation
Great productive weekend on the Breakaway! I moved the steering column forward about 4 inches and now have enough room to swing my big feet/legs thru without stepping over the seat when the seat is in the driving position. I have posted all the pictures in a numeric format on my website showing the process, I haven't had time to do a write up but will get to it later.

Bssically I cut the extension that the steering column mounts to off and fabricated a new mount for the steering column which will hold the steering column about 4 inches further forward, when the column is tilted straight up it now just contacts the lower portion of the dash, it also has a better "rake" to it so in the driving position it isn't as much like a "bus" wheel, more horizontal.

original postion

finished position

For all the pictures of the process please see them on my website.

steering column relocation

I also got a case of "mision creep" while in there, I have complained that my feet get cold when the weather outside is cold because there is a slight amount of leakage from the front of the Breakaway into the dash area, I will fix that around the grill area later but for now I added a cover above my right foot with insulation.

Next up-- bushing replacement on all of the leaf springs.

Happy Holidays to all!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater