Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    REFRIGERATORS
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

REFRIGERATORS
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Hi Guys.
My 1976 Barth has the org Norcold model DE728, which is a two way 12volt dc and 110 volt ac refrigerator which works really great. The refrigeration system uses freon and a small compressor. This refrig would't be suitable for boondocking, but the book says the frig will operate in an off-level condition as high as 30 degrees, therfore leveling of the vehicle is not required.
Now my question is do they still make a refrigerator like this?

The frig power consumption
60 watts .7 amps 110 volts or
8.0 amps 12volt DC with automatic switching

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
Norcold still makes a 12V compressor frig, it's model is DE0061. Goes for about $1000. Can't find it at RV dealers though, only boat dealers/marinas/etc. Lots of others too. Search the web using "12V compressor refrigerator"...I found about 10 different makes, but none were suitable for my Barth...either too big for the cutout or too small for the wife!

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS MUCH HANK I'LL CHECK IT OUT. WE REALLY LIKE THESE FRIGS.

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also try rvsurplus.com. They are located in Elkhart which isn't that far for you to go. They show both new and used on their site.

Posts: 24 | Location: Andrews, IN USA | Member Since: 09-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I replaced the fridge last year and learned a thing or two about RV fridges. My new Dometic Classic is 110-LP and it works great. The level problem only comes into play if sitting still for extended periods while running on LP. On 110 or running down the road it doesn't matter. Also, the newer ones are better in this regard than the older ones. The switching is now automatic, with a manual override available, so as long as you have it on it will switch itself to 110 when available and back to LP when the 110 is turned off. It uses very little LP and of course doesn't pull down the coach batteries over the course of a long weekend at the races. Just my opinion but something you may want to consider before investing in your new fridge. BTW, I think I paid $1030 at Campers World.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks much guys, my frig works just like new,no complaints but its coming up on 30 years old 1976 same age as my Barth. I know that any day now I may need a new one.

Ralph Glover
27'1976 Barth