Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Check 1 2
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Check 1 2
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
The other day I realized I've neglected the Euro for a while so I tried to fire up the Onan. Nope. House batts read 8, charged with a quick 10 for an hour, read 12.5 each. Switched to 2 and forgot about it for 2 days. Today they both read 13.5. Fired up the Onan, [Scandanavian for "purrs like kitten"] reading 125 + or - 2 at all recepticles. AC blowing nice and cold. Am I spoiled?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Now that you have confessed your sin of neglect, see how quickly the fates have favored you! Hopefully the batteries are OK.

It really is hard to get these coaches out as much as they need esp. in winter. (At least around here) I'm still trying to figure out how to make the Dec GTG and still come back in Feb/March without having to do two trips and kidnap a rich Arab (for ransom and gas money.)

Never know, I might have to crash the party in my airplane. (Not literally, I only do that with red trucks) I was about 8 hrs from leaving last Dec when the weather soured. You never know...

Looks like we may have 2 Euros next time.. cool!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Things I've learned in the 9 years of Barth ownership.
1. Leaving the coach plugged in does not keep the batteries charged. It keeps charging the batteries.
2.The water from the under the sink RO system is NOT distilled water.
3. If you boil the batteries dry they will not be good when you re-fill them.
So, I'd rather let them get down a little, then charge them up, than charge the whatnot out of them till they go dry.
OH yeah, a "while" to me is anything over 4 weeks.
Hope you can make it down Steve, we have a good time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Overcharging is probably worse than undercharging, esp if the electrolyte is gassed away. One year ago I replaced my charger with a Progressive Dynamics model. The batteries have been plugged in almost full time. I have not yet added any water! It is evidently a very well regulated charging system.

None of my other chargers have been this well controlled and I never left them hooked up all the time for fear of overcharging.

I'm still thinking about Florida in December.. a pleasant concept trying to become reality. Hmmm...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I should have let you come down and start my Kohler, why? cause it's just one of those strange things that happen.
It was time to service it so I spent today changing the oil, oil filter, air filer, gas filter, cleaning out/reoiling the crank case breather and cleaning the plugs and re-gapping them. The ole Kohler has been running great and about two weeks ago it ran for over six hours down near Sanibel.
So after the above service, I hit the starter button and she started right away and purred real good for about 10 seconds and quit.
After doing several tests I found out the problem.
The ole Kohler awarded me a thank you for the above service by having the electric fuel pump die. Maybe I should have left it alone LOL.
Anyway now I have to find a replacement fuel pump.

Jim Confused

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post