Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    My gas tanks are driving me CRAZY!!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My gas tanks are driving me CRAZY!!!
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted

I have two 45 gal gas tanks in my 1985 Regal. I can fill the rear one, no problems but when I fill the front one it overflows to the point I have to quit. But sometimes, it doesn't...Sometimes is does... I thought we had it figured out that it didn't overflow if I filled the rear one first, but nooooooo that didn't work this time. Why is that happening, how can I fix it before I can't stand it anymore....

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave, are you refering to overflow or back-up? I find my tanks to be stubborn when beginning to fill them. I have to move the nozzle around and go slow until I find a happy medium to allow the air to escape and the gold, er gas, to flow into the tank.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Overflow, on the front tank only it comes out the overflow tube where I suppose there is suppose to be just air coming out. I go crazy moving the nozzle around, slowing down etc. and nothing helps, except for those times when it works perfectly and there is no overflow and it does exactly WHAT IT IS SUPPOSE TO DO, and that is about 38.6% of the time. The rest of the time IT DRIVES ME CRAZY....

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 25, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 25, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dave, are your tanks connected with a big enough line so both fill at the same time? I had a 2-tank GMC motorhome once that worked that way.

What happens if you fill the front tank first?

Is it possible that overfilling the rear tank lets fuel into the front tank vent line, & it sprays out when you start pumping gas into that one?

You probably won't solve the mystery until you get a good look at how all your fuel and vent lines are connected ahead of the point where they attach to the line that feeds the carb.

I had a mysterious water overflow problem once, and found a nest of ants plugging the vent tube. Maybe you've got spider webs in a vent line. Remember the water heater spider problems a year ago, or so?

RVs can be full of mysteries.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited October 25, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited October 25, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ran into one like this once before. Seems there was a kink in the vent line (probably hit with a rock) and sometimes it would accumulate fuel at the kink, sometimes not. When fuel was in the kink, the main fill spit back at you unless you trickled in the gas.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Do both tanks feed together or only one at a time?

And... do you have a drawing of your fuel tank hookups?

[This message has been edited by eric (edited October 27, 2005).]

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric, good to hear from you it's been a while. How is that Breakaway serving you?

I don't think they are hooked together except where they go into the engine. I have a switch on the dash (front/back).

------------------

Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
It has taken me up to 25 minutes to fill all or part of my 150 tank. Many times the fuel just spills back. I stop filling, then restart. Sometimes this happens each minute, sometimes each 3 - 4 minutes. Only once with both the engine and the generator on - I had no problem. Tried to do this again, but back to the same problems. Moving the fuel nozzle around helps and using a small nozzle is better than the larger "truck stop" size. I am told by the former owner that he also had this problem. Had a repair man, lift the fuel tank and repair a kink in the air line. But I still have the issue.
It was suggested by the mechanic in Port Charlotte - "just learn to live with it."

Oh well, ... thom

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I think you guys hit it on the nose. One thing I failed to try the last time I (tried) to fill the front tank is to start real slow. I too thought that I was having luck moving the nozzle around. I have not noticed a difference in the size of nozzles but I now wonder if the the small nozzles allow more air out.

------------------