Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    exploded battery
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

exploded battery
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
I noticed a puddle beneath our coach this morning, under the left battery compartment (I'm pretty sure this is the coach battery area). I opened it up and found a battery that looks like it exploded. The coach is connected to shore power. It was upper twenties last night.

Is this likely from overcharging?

The battery was new early April, installed by the seller in Texas.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
a battery that looks like it exploded

A totally discharged battery can freeze at about 20F, causing swelling/case distortion/cracking & leaking....but not a reason to explode.....

For that, you'd need an ignition source and a run-away charging condition, creating excess hydrogen venting.......

For sure, worth serious checking out!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Freezing of a discharged battery seems more likely. As Lee says, there would have to be an ignition source for it to explode.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
We had many cases of batteries exploding in Fairbanks years ago. Back in the good 'ol days we didn't have smart chargers and we plugged the cars in anytime they sat, there were even plugs on the parking meters downtown.

Batteries would explode if they were getting low on water, in the charging mode they would generate hydrogen and probably would have an internal spark that would set them off. We had cars that the entire hood would be blown off during the explosion, battery parts everywhere.

On our heavy equipment, if the battery would be nearly or fully discharged, they would split the case but not explode.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
a battery that looks like it exploded

A totally discharged battery can freeze at about 20F, causing swelling/case distortion/cracking & leaking....but not a reason to explode.....

For that, you'd need an ignition source and a run-away charging condition, creating excess hydrogen venting.......

For sure, worth serious checking out!

A picture is worth a bunch of words. The picture shows that a lot of the force was directed upward, which points more to an explosion than freezing. Freezing typically forces the sides to bulge until they fail. Sometimes cold makes the sides brittle enough to make one think of an explosion, but the top is usually spared much dramatic damage.

SAFETY NAG: You never when a battery is going to explode. Charging produces hydrogen, which can go BOOM. ALWAYS wear eye protection, or even a plastic bag over your head. Sounds silly, but at work we had a lot of batteries and a few sad stories. Between Skydrol and battery acid, I wore a bag often. Easier to wear in confined spaces than the company-issued face shields.

For those of you who use a hydrometer, be particularly aware that the tip is flexible, and can spring back and flip acid on your face or clothing.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I remember checking the converter, which charges the batteries and supplies when we were checking the wiring at Raccoon Mountain. IIRC, it's on the driver's side of the bedroom.

Converters are designed not to overcharge, but rather to float.

If one cell was corroded, that's a sign of low fluid, allowing air, and that could have caused a short. Enough of the cell could have been flooded to output hydrogen, and the short could have ignited it.

I did an investigation a few years ago on a battery explosion on an SUV, and that was the cause.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
This is what my almost new batteries looked like after losing power and discharging then freezing.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack:
-------------
Went out to Barth today and found that power had been cut off, and since I had heat running, the batteries were very dead. Luckily I'm working on the battery tray and had two of the four golf car batteries disconnected. After I got power back on, I went to check out batteries and they were very, shall I say, 'plump', opened vent cap and top it was solid ice.
Guess I'll have a set of four new batteries shortly instead of the two I just got.

------------------------

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hopper:
Thanks

So the converter is inside the coach near the circuit breakers and shore power switch? I was looking for something in the engine compartment.

Keith

IIRC, it was a Power Dynamics, and would look like this 9180.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke