Barthmobile Portal
Alternator Problems

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4801098061

11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Eric Herrle
Alternator Problems
Oh Kay Gang!

I've rebuilt my alternator 3 times in the last year what's the real problem in the system? Somethings wrong that I'm not finding. Any suggestions would be helpful.
11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Eric Herrle
Hi Bill;

No I didn't do the rebuild but I'm beginning to think I should. The part that keeps going is the voltage regulator.

Oh Yea it's on a 93 Breakaway. and it's a 160 amp alternator...part # is at the house.
11-09-2004, 06:12 PM
bill h
Does your coach have an ammeter? It is possible that the batteries are drawing a large load on the alternator, causing premature failure.

Unfortunately, rebuilt parts are often very poorly done, with poor quality parts. Even the ones with "lifetime" warranties.
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Jack
I’m not going to sign this post because its gonna’ talk about something I don’t want to admit I had any part of. I was working on my coach battery system last winter, and had all the batteries out for a period of time. When things started going back together, I started the engine on the ‘house’ batteries using the ‘switch’ and not really thinking, after the engine was running, released the switch, which unhooked the batteries from the rapidly spinning alternator. Later, on my first trip of the season, my batteries died while driving. It was discovered that my perfectly good alternator needed to be replaced. Wonder why?
Name withheld.
11-09-2004, 08:07 PM
bill h
Name withheld, that is one of the lessons some of us have also learned the hard way.

Once is usually enough.

A Nony Mous