Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Reattaching awning lag bolts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Reattaching awning lag bolts
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
As some of you know we are getting ready to paint the upper section of our Regal. We are painting the top portion of the awning rail(so we won't have to remove the awning)but we do have to remove the lag bolts holding up the awning supports @ the rail. Of course we are only going to extend the awning out about 2 ft so we can tape, & paint cleanly. The support rails will remain in the clamp @ the base. Having spent many hours tediously removing silicone in other areas for painting I am gun shy & don't really want to use it again anywhere.

My question is....When we put lag bolts back in, do we use some other product than silicone to put in the holes & around the bolts to insure a solid hold & making it waterproof? I don't think they should be permanently attached in case they need to be removed in the future so liquid nails is out. I thought about the butyl sealant we are using for the windshield or the roof lap sealant. Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
google "vintage trailer supply" and get Tremco 636
formerly known as Vulkem. A polyurethane sealant is what you need, sometimes you can find this or a similar product at glass suppliers and/or roofing suppliers, never at Lowes or Home Despot. Only a company as powerful as GE could make a product as worthless as silicon caulk so popular!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Permatex #2 will also work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I say use the butyl sealant. It permanently seals and stays pliable for ever.

I keep a roll of the butyl bead caulking around for just this use. In fact, I used it on my awning support rail when I moved the awning to make room for a Over The Door awning.

Good Luck,
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
A polyurethane sealant is what you need

RV GOOP is a polyurethane that has been really good for me. I use it for all kinds of small jobs. Other than a test on polyethylene, it has been really great.

If all the RV Goop in my Barth were to fail at once, I would have to rename it "The Deacon's Masterpiece"

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post