Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Soft Air Brakes on 94 Regency
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Soft Air Brakes on 94 Regency
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I completed a round trip from FL to CA this past summer in my 94 Regency with the Spartan Mountain Master chassis, 300hp Cummins
and air brakes. The trip was trouble free but the brakes worry me because they seem soft. Especially on long downhill runs. My unit does not have a jake brake and I had to slow down to 20-30 mph on the long downhill slopes and still worried about over heating. It also has ABS. Whether hot or cold the pedal seems the same ---it almost bottoms out. All four wheels are drum brakes -- no disc.
Is there any kind of adjustment that I can experiment with?
I am a good shade tree mechanic but have no experiance with air brakes or diesel.
Also, would an exhaust brake system be recommended and what is the ballpark cost?

Thanks for any help.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I am the least mechanically inclined nor mechanically qualified person to post on this site...

However...

I recently had a problem with my brake-lights "hanging-on", even after shutting-down and exiting the coach. I intially trouble-shot in the direction of a "switch" or electrical problem.

...as it turns-out, it was the [now known] "Treadle Valve", which is the "valve" located directly below the brake pedal, bolted to and thru the bottom of the floor.

I too, could bottom-out my brake pedal and it did have some feeling of "softness", however, my brakes seemed to be stopping the coach without a problem. I would at times find the need to slightly "pump" the brakes, in order to build enough air pressure in the valve and to give a better "feel" at the foot pedal.

I could hardly believe the change in the responsiveness of the brakes following the replacement of the Treadle Valve. My brakes are so "tight" now, they will put you thru the windshield if your not careful ...very cool!

Anyway... this was a 300(+) dollar item and had to be ordered from Spartan. No problem with the brake-lights following the repair ...obviously, the brake-light problem was just an extended symptom of the chief complaint.

I guess this is something you could possibly consider.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't help with much except braking with drum brakes on long downhill runs.

Brake vigorously and slow down to half or 1/3 the limit. Let off the brakes and let the coach speed up, then apply again. This techniques allows the brakes to cool And doesn't heat them up initially as much as riding them.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
Is there any kind of adjustment that I can experiment with?
The simple answer is to adjust the brakes at the slack adjuster. Each wheel position has an adjustment that you can make.

Picture 1 & 4 shows the brake at rest - no air psi.

Picture 2 shows air psi applied and the brake chamber pushrod and slack adjuster pushing to the left.

Picture 2 & 6 also shows what an out of adjustment condition looks like. Notice that it's past a 90 degree angle?

When air is supplied to the service side of the brake chamber the push rod and slack adjuster should be at a 90 degree angle - the proper position as what is showing in picture 5.

Picture 7 & 8 shows a front steer position. Notice the item that says "rotating cam"? When you step on the brakes the "S cam" (aka rotating cam) lifts up the rollers causing the brake shoes to make contact with the drum.

The adjustment is rather simple if you know what you're doing - you could train just about anyone to adjust brakes. The problem is doing it for the first time and getting a good handle on what you're doing.

The actual training requires a little hands on. By adjusting that bolt the "S cam" turns to send the shoes closer to the drum - once the shoes touch the drum and the bolt won't tighten up anymore then you back that bolt off a half a turn.

Step on the brakes and see if you have a 90 degree angle or no more than 1 and a half (1 1/2) inches of travel of the pushtube. If it's longer than that or the angle is off then have someone help you further.

When adjusting drive axles the parking brakes need to be released so they'll need to be made with full air psi.

Because the front brakes do not have a parking brake chamber attached to it, you can adjust them without releasing your brakes.

From slack adjuster being at rest to brakes being applied with your foot you will have no more than one and a half inches or a little less of overall travel and the angle should be very close to 90 degrees. At 90 degrees your force is at it's maximum.

The 1 and 1/2 inches is for a type 30 brake chamber. A smaller chamber requires closer clearances.

If any of this sound foreign, or your unsure, then leave it alone and call an expert in to help you. Pay someone - the life you save may be your own.

Several variables...
The adjuster bolt could be seized - the slack adjuster could be defective - the S cam bushings could be worn out - The shoes could be worn below min thickness - the main spring could be broken inside of the maxi chamber you could have severe cracking on a set of overheated brakes thus glazing them.

If anyone follows this advice you do so at your own risk. I repeat, pay someone to show you how to do it the first time.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Man ---- the feedback you guys have provided is right on the money!! Between the treadle valve and the S cam adjustment, I should be able to isolate my problem. And don't worry Bill, I have done enough drum brake jobs on autos to understand the risk of over adjusting the S cam. Too bad there is not some way to check the shoe wear without pulling the drums --- like disc brakes.

Were exhaust brakes common on diesel Barths? I test drove a used Fleetwood Discovery with a Cat/6 speed Allison while in New Mexico and was surprised at how well it braked the unit without the loud exhaust noise. I am surprised my Barth does't have one since these were top of the line RVs.

Special thanks to Bill for the great pictures and tutorial!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
Between the treadle valve and the S cam adjustment, I should be able to isolate my problem. And don't worry Bill, I have done enough drum brake jobs on autos to understand the risk of over adjusting the S cam. Too bad there is not some way to check the shoe wear without pulling the drums --- like disc brakes.
Most soft pedals can be straightened out with a brake adjustment. Not that the pedal is really soft. It's just that your brakes could be so far out of adjustment that it just feels that way.

If you look around the backing plate you should see an oval port - it might need you to take a punch and tap it out... most of the time it's an open oval slit. Some times there's a piece of rubber in there you pull off.

If your slack adjuster is at 3 O'clock then your sight ports are at the 6 & 12 O'clock positions. This is where the thickest part of the shoes are located.

If you adjust your brakes in the wrong direction you could scoop out the brake shoe rollers. When adjusting look into the sight hole and make sure the brakes are going towards the drum.

I redid picture 8 to show the gap between the S cam and the rollers. If it gets turned in the wrong direction you can now see better how the rollers could get scooped out.

The correct direction of rotation in picture 7 & 8 only is clockwise to adjust tighter. Each position has a different direction of rotation and is related to s cam and brake chamber mounting - they do not all turn clockwise to tighten. Picture 7 shows what the shoes and the rollers look like on the high side of the S cam with the brakes applied in a clockwise rotation.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
If you find you are using the brakes a lot going downhill...Downshift!!!! The old truckers rule of thumb is to go down a hill in the same gear that you went up it. Also they say you can go down a hill too slow a thousand times but too fast only once. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks again for your expert advice. I plan to work on this tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Downshifting and braking as described still left me worried at the bottom of the mountain. I was down to second gear and 20 mph most of the time and was cookin by the time I reached the bottom of the valley in Yosemite. Thats why I'm so interested in the exhaust brake system. In theory, it should help reduce the demand on the brakes.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Another way to take it easy on your brakes is to get a copy of the Mountain Directory West or MD East books. They will tell you what the passes and steep grades are in both areas of the U.S. When i am going somewhere i sit down with a good atlas and my MD books and look to see what i am going to run into and plan my route accordingly. Well worth the money. Website is www.mountaindirectory.com I won't leave home without them......oh wait, i fulltime so i always have them with me! Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"If you look around the backing plate you should see an oval port - it might need you to take a punch and tap it out... most of the time it's an open oval slit. Some times there's a piece of rubber in there you pull off."
Bill, I think you're incorrect on this; the Spartan MM has no backing plate.

quote:
Too bad there is not some way to check the shoe wear without pulling the drums --- like disc brakes.

My '97 has the Mountain Master w/325 cummins and 6-speed Allison; sounds exactly like yours, chassis-wise. My brake shoes are open to view (from about 4 O'Clock to 8) when I crawl beneath and look at them. The shoes are in profile, of course, and one doesn't see all of them, but enough to ascertain wear. They are very close to the drums; so adjustment needs should be obvious, as is wear.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Absolutely install an exhaust brake. Installed price is less than 2k and that includes the exhaust valve spring upgrade and valve lash adjustment. The exhaust brake will hold you back on most grades without ever hitting the service brakes. It is also very handy on interstate off-ramps and any other time you need to slow the rig. Exhaust brakes funtion by inserting a butterfly in the exhaust stream after the turbo. All it does is turn the engine into a 60 psi air compressor during deceleration. All you have to do is downshift the tranny. For a few dollars more, an Allison dealer can program the tranny to do that too. The butterfly opens when you reapply throttle. Once the brakes get hot they are pretty much useless.

There is a slot in the backing plate that allows you to see the brake lining. Hope this helps. Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.