Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    transmission failure
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

transmission failure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Went to use the Barth today and the do not shift light lit up. As it lit, the two N's on the tranny panel started to blink. anyone have any idea what could cause this? I tried swapping out the relays on the roof of electric panel and that did nothing. Sometimes, the tranny will work for about thirty seconds before the the less start to flash. Any ideas??? Thanks, Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
I googled this and found that the problem is likely low battery voltage or a bad fuse or splice in the 12v power ... Don't know if this helps any..

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I talked to the guy from Texas who rebuilds Allison tranny controllers. He says mine is shot so I will need to send it to him for a rebuild.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of this Richard------ been there and done that TOO----$$$

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think as much as I drive mine I had better get and carry along a spare TCM and keyboard! I have located a TCM and will have it programmed and imaged to what I have. Keyboard is a different issue.

I can not be delayed or travel disrupted by this type of problem.

Richard could you text me the address/phone of the guy in Texas? I may stop by and see him this trip. I leave on Tuesday. Thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Does he have a website??

Please post it if available,,,,

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Rebuilt mine in 2013. If you remember when temp went down below 35 degrees the keypad would not work.
Ed pointed out at some point it would fail and I'd sit. Good call.

John and Joan Kopalek
1-866-439-9779
Flower Mound Texas
www.transmissioninstruments.com

Nice folks quick turnaround.
Make sure to disconnect power. I know it should go without saying!

At that time $550 to rebuild and send back my unit.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1389 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I was in the Dallas are for the last 2 days and tried to meet up with John. I kinda wanted to see his operation but he was very vague about getting together. I was thinking about removing my unit and letting him go thru it but I have no transportation while it would be out. Maybe net trip I will do this and tow my Amigo.

He did confirm what I think we are all starting to know:

Not a matter of "IF" it is a matter of "WHEN"

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Got the part back and installed it. Worked great. He does a complete rebuild rather than just replace the bad component(s).