Barthmobile Portal
Air Bag Presure

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4781068092

11-18-2007, 11:06 PM
ken Partney
Air Bag Presure
I just replace all six air bags and am not sure of thr proper presure??? 1987 Regal 33' with tag axle. Can anrone help?

kenpartney@sbcglobal.net
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
bill h
Front bump stop clearance should be 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 inches. Ideally, it should be the same measurement as when the last alignment was done.

The tag axle bags should be no more than 20 psi, according to the Neway manual.

The drive axle bags should be aired until the chassis rails are level on a level road. Observe manufacturer's pressure limits.

It is common for P30 rear springs to sag so badly that you cannot achieve a level condition without more air in the tag bags. Many people use more air.

It is also possible that your front springs are so sacked that you cannot blow up the bags enough. If that is the case, jack up the front by the crossmember and inflate the bags to a hundred pounds. Lower it and adjust the pressure until you get the proper bump stop clearance.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
11-19-2007, 12:21 AM
ken Partney
Thanks Bill, that is a big help. Much appreciated.

kenpartney@sbcglobal.net
11-19-2007, 01:31 AM
olroy
FWIW & to confuse the issue, handwritten notes in my Firestone Ride-Rite manual say 40 lbs. in the drive axle bags. My tag axle compressor is preset to come on @ 20psi & stop @ 40psi. The coach seems to ride best @ 30psi. I have dual controls, but the tag axle plumbing is connected, & I cannot adjust it separately side-to-side.

El Segundo Bill's instruction regarding the front height/air bag adjustment is wise. If your coach is like mine, the front axle is loaded just about to the max with 2 persons aboard.

The ideal is to set the pressures as Bill suggests, i.e. on a level road with a normal load. Things change the moment you move it, as the road surface varies, & your load varies from adding, shifting, removing cargo, adding & using fuel, flushing the toilet, adding, using water, etc. Fortunately, the whole deal doesn't require micrometric precision, & once you get it set up level, with a normal load, the fluctuations aren't going to make a great deal of difference.

It's unlikely you'll ever load it to anywhere near the combined capacity of the rear suspension, but your front axle will be close to the rated max. in normal operation.