Barthmobile Portal
Electrical Problem?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4753909587

07-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Fred & Cindy
Electrical Problem?
I am scratching my head on this one. On my way home from St. Louis today my dash fans quick and also the entire instrument panel. The coach still ran fine but I pulled it over anyway and turned off the engine to check it out. I could not see anything wrong in the engine area. I started the engine again and everything started working and was able to get it home. However the alternator reading showed less than 12 votes, it is normally somewhere around 14 votes. We are supposed to go to Branson tomorrow and I'm a bit leary making the trip. Any ideas what could be wrong?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri
07-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Rusty
I'd suspect the dash ground. At worst, you can run a temporary ground; grounding any of the instruments should do it.

Also check the engine battery connections.

Less likely is a loose connection or bad relay on the +12VDC to the dash; again, a temp wire will work. The failure of the dash fans would be an indicator of this, rather than a ground issue. The fact that all returned to normal after stopping also points to a bad relay.

A third possibility is a bad ignition switch, which, when on, activates the relay/s. The symptoms also make this a possibility.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields