Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Velvac Mirrors
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Velvac Mirrors
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
My coach has the original Velvac remote/heated mirrors that are dull. I have tried to polish them with the result of getting them to a shine, although one can see there appears to be what I describe as a coating that keeps them from attaining a mirror luster. I have sanded them with 320, 600,1500 and 2000 paper; used coarse and fine rubbing compound followed by Mothers Aluminum Polish. IU can get them showing a high luster but with a haze. Over night with rain or dew brown spots appear on the surface just like water spots. They can be polished off with the Mothers but the haze remains. I have waxed them to stop oxidation but the result is the same. They appear to oxidize from the inside out. Is there perhaps an alloy used in casting that contains something of an iron derivative that can't be polished away? I don't have any problems with the Alcoa wheels so I am dumbfounded by these mirrors. Any metallurgists out there? Anyone had success polishing these old style mirrors? Thanks in advance.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Paint em!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom
Our Velvac mirrors are black. They are coated with a black finish that looks a bit like trunk paint. Not as shiny as a glossy painted finish.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
They have an anodized finish. I had this type of finish on our bus bumpers. I finally sanded the finish off and then could polish them. Lots of work, but used about 3 different grits of sandpaper and then Alcoa aluminum polish.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I have read that drain cleaner will remove the anodized finish without sanding.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I just went through a two polishing exercise for my mirrors. I used buffing wheels, foam ball, rubbing compound, buffing sticks (2 grits), and finally polishing compound. Here is a comparison of after and before.

The upsetting part is that they do tarnish quickly. It rained the two days following and I did notice some heavy streaking and spotting. Then it rained the third day and I swear it must be acid rain because the next morning and there was white streaks of heavy corrosion on the mirrors. I then spent a couple of hours repolishing and then covered them with carnuba wax. I hope this will do the trick.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I now have some questions about these mirrors.
1. Does anyone know the model number?
2. Can replacement flat and convex mirrors be purchased?
3. The flat mirror is attached with velcro. How is the convex mirror attached?
4. Can a new mounting base be obtained that is flat?

I hope someone can answer at least some of these questions.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when I worked in the research group at Rusty's alma mater I occasionally did testing for corrosion. First thing was to wipe the metal squares with solvent then buff them with crocus cloth to get the surface ready to be attacked. If you think of clogged sandpaper changed to unclogged sandpaper that is essentially the microscopic level of changing from passive to active for reaction. Waxing will give some protection, varnish some, shellac some but looking at my brass kick panels on the front doors continual attention is required.
Looks good in the interim.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I came upon a very promising product today. I spoke with various people at work and some had used it with great success. Apparently many motorcyclists and boaters use the ProtectaClear since it is the one listed as usable in Marine environments. I plan to order it and use it. I will post the results sometime in the future.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
An update on my mirrors. I contacted Velvac along with my pics and they informed me that my mirrors are no by Velvac, but by Ramco Engineering. My email along with their response is as follows:
I have a 1993 38 ft Barth Regency. The mirrors on it are polished aluminum. I am attaching pictures of them, one before I polished them and one after. I need to know if they are one of yours and, if so, I have the following questions:

1. What model are they?[Amy Dean] They are our 6002 series mirrors
2. Can replacement glass mirrors be purchased?[Amy Dean] yes
3. Is a new flat mounting base available?[Amy Dean] These are 9” mounts, and they are still available
4. They are rather old and the mirror head is stuck to the arm. How can they be removed for polishing and replacement?[Amy Dean] The arms might be seized into the heads. Spray WD40 and let it set for a while.
5. Can a longer arm be purchased?[Amy Dean] we have 15” arms or 18” arms.
6. What can be done to protect the surface to prevent corrosion?[Amy Dean] We do not have any type of sealer for our mirrors.
7. The flat mirror is attached with Velcro. How is the convex mirror attached?[Amy Dean] it is also attached with Velcro to an Aluminum plate that is silicone to the motor.
8. What technical data is available?[Amy Dean] What data are you looking for?

I hope this information is useful to some of you.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

1st month member
posted Hide Post
Check out Zoop Seal
http://www.eastwood.com/zoop-seal-jr.html

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
As seen in a previous post I had managed to polish my mirrors quite well. Well, they were well on their way to looking like the before pics so I have disassembled them and had them powdered coated high gloss black. They could have come close to matching the dark metallic gray but it would have cost nearly as much as buying new mirrors. The powder coat I used is the same as what motorcyclists use so it is very durable.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO