Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    85 regal water heater - light??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

85 regal water heater - light??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of tigger
posted
It's been so long since I used the water heater I can't remember what happened when I first turned it on. Was there a green 'water heater' light? Cause there isn't now. It is just blank for about 6-7 secs then the red light comes on. I sprayed all the contacts and cleanded the air tube. I turned on the kit burners for a while. What else can I try? Do I have aaan easy test to see if curren6t is even getting there? I have a multimeter but I'm not sure which settings to use or where to use them.

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Make sure the propane sniffer is turned on and finished its initialization (flashing green light, no beeping).

Light one of the stove burners, to purge the air from the lines, then try the HW heater again.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
I tried turing on the stove burner before I posted. I have no idea what a 'propane sniffer' is. where would this 'flashing green light' be?

thanks
Tigger

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Open the heater cover and turn on the ignition switch. Does the igniter work (you will see an arc of electricity like a spark plug)? If the igniter works, but doesn't light, you have a gas flow problem. Check the grounds-sand contact point and apply dielectric grease. The igniter computer board costs about $100. Check the burner tube for spider webs, dirt, etc. Make sure the burner flue is clear of dirt daubers nest. You can flush out the dauber nest with a water hose and sprayer. If dirt has clogged the flue, you will have intermittent ignition with a flame and shutdown almost immediately.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigger:
I tried turing on the stove burner before I posted. I have no idea what a 'propane sniffer' is. where would this 'flashing green light' be?

thanks
Tigger

The sniffer is a gas detector that operates a remote solenoid valve on the LPG main. It's located near the floor.

The typical one has a brown finisher plate (about the size of a light switch plate on its side), a green light, and a slide switch. Unless that switch is on, the sniffer won't go through its startup cycle (usually takes a minute or two, during which time it should beep).

It only turns on the gas when no propane has been detected inside the coach. It also turns off the gas if it detects propane, and also sounds that beeper.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Was there a green 'water heater' light"
My '86 Regal had a green light during ignition try which turned to red when it caught.
Did your range top come on? If not, it's a propane problem.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, do all Barths have a propane sniffer? I've never noticed one in my 85 Regal. Where would it be located?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My sniffer was next to the entry steps, just above the floor.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
Jim, my Barth did not come equipped with a propane sniffer, so yours might not have one either.

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I have had problems in the past similar to what you describe. It was caused by a broken winding in one of the two solenoid coils that operate the gas valve on the water heater. With the water heater switch turned on, I could remove one of the power spade connections to the control board, and re-connect it to recycle it from the heater itself. I could hear the very faint click from the solonoid, so I disconnected and reconnected each one of the coil inputs separately, and determined that one of them was not operating. I then took it all apart, and rewound the coil repairing the open connection. I did this three times over the previous two years, and then this year when it happened again, I spent the $100+ for a new gas valve assembly.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thought they were required since the early '80s. Apparently not. I'd install one if my coach didn't have.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
well things have changed, anyway. After numerous switch flips, I no longer get the red light, however, I don't get the burner to ignite either.
I can hear the origional click.
Tomorrow when it's light again I'll try a couple of the proposed tests written above - wish me luck.

Tigger

Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
My light would come on but I would not get any clicking at the igniter. I ended up changing the igniter board and it's working great now. I went with the Dinosaur board for around $100.

Ronnie

1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post