Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Furnace Fix
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Furnace Fix
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
Our 1993 Breakaway has a Hydro-Flame 8535-11 furnace which started to act up and finally would not light at all. I found that it had power through the sail switch and the high limit cut-off so I assumed it was the ignition control board.

I went to my local trailer supply store only to find that they had been out of stock for a couple of weeks. Then I called the big box of camper supplies and was told that they could order one for 198.00.

A bit of surfing found Dinosaur replacement boards so I called Roy at R&G Electronic Specialty in Thousand Oaks, CA and told him which board I wanted.

Roy shipped the part that morning and within 2 days my mailbox had the new device inside. Installation is a 5 minute job but required some minor mods since the metal feet on the new PCB were not the same height as the OEM part and I had to shim it some in order for it to fit.

The heater fired up on the first try and has been operating perfectly ever since. (I like Dinosaur boards because the have LED indicators that help diagnose the operational status of the device.)

Cost: $97.00 including S & H.

Roy said he also has .pdf files of the service (not owner) manuals for many appliances and will supply them for free if they can be sent via e-mail to the user. His website is www.rg-electrospec.com.

We just returned from a 1,200 mile trip to Monument Valley, Page and the Grand Canyon over in Arizona. The Breakaway did great with only a few glitches like some electrical relay problems. The cold water heater also had a thermal cut-out device open and it would not light at all. A new thermal cut-out fixed that problem.

I am going to replace two relays and redo some wiring in the front compartment. Also I am in the process of checking the tightness of the terminals and thermal breaker fittings. I really like that the wiring is imprinted with the actual use of the wires. I have learned much about the layout and how the devices are sourced and protected. It is a fun project.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I have heard the Dinosaur PCBs are reasonably priced and good quality. It appears you have had a good experience as well. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post